gm full size wiring

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

gm full size wiring

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi everybody, hope i got this in the right section. Im currently buzy on my 67 impala wagon and got a small hickup. I got the car with no motor an trans. And wires inside engine bay was not marked. Sorted out what i could,got temp as well as oil press and coil wires but with 2 left im standing. There is a orange and purple wire that goes to the starter ,now the question which one is power and the other one should be for activating starter. If anyone could help i would be greatly thankfull.
many thanks
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Re: gm full size wiring

Post by Speedbump »

Purple on most GM's is the color for the solenoid activation from the neutral safety switch and connects to the "S" terminal of the solenoid. The orange on those early years could be B+ to the coil during start up and connects to the "I" terminal of the solenoid.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi , i have the one that goes to the coil,its yellow. Thats the one from solenoid to coil . And if joins the wire coming from the ign . The other one is blue thats for oil sender and a green for the temp light .
i checked the net but dont get spesifics
Anyway thanks for the input at least its down to one wire that should be positive
thanks
chevyfreak
Bowtie for life
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

What size/gauge wire is the orange wire?
And is it truly orange? (maybe faded red?)

The purple wire goes to the neutral/ignition switch from the 'S' terminal as said.
Usually the wire that goes from the 'I' to the coil is yellow. (and smaller gauge wire than the purple)
Usually a bigger red wire that connects with the battery cable that would run to the alternator. (or maybe a power post on firewall/fender)

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Its a orange color same gauge as purple wire. Thats whats so diffrent there is a red wire from battery to horn relay and there is also a junction box. Will probably have to open that piece of harness to trace. Thanks for the input
thanks
Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Are you sure it goes to the starter?

That sounds like the power supply for the alternator, probably goes to the horn relay probably?
Is the terminal a round lug type or a push on type terminal?

Your car isn't a convertible is it?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

John Wallace wrote:Are you sure it goes to the starter?

That sounds like the power supply for the alternator, probably goes to the horn relay probably?
Is the terminal a round lug type or a push on type terminal?

Your car isn't a convertible is it?

:?:
There is no lugs on, when the previous guy took out the motor they just cut the wires even the alt side only the sensors were unplugged. Rest of the car is still unmolested. Its a wagon,base 283 powerglide,well was im going 327 th350.
will check later in the week im busy fitting the diff and brakes .
thanks
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi all i think i found to where the orange wire goes,well i think i figured it out.
this car is a heater delete and the orange wire goes to blower motor . The main power wire goes from battery across to driver side then splits at horn relay to alt and towards fuse box.
Thanks to all that replied towards my question.
thanks
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Cool!

I thought a orange wire was for the heater, but you said it was with the starter wiring, so didn't mention that.
(also used on convertible lifts, why my question earlier)

More than likely they had the wire taped up in the loom and it was undone making it look like it was used.
(they use the same harness, just use the wires needed for that car)

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

More than likely they had the wire taped up in the loom and it was undone making it look like it was used.
(they use the same harness, just use the wires needed for that car)

:)[/quote]
Hi.
yes there is 1small loom that drops off for temp and then it runs thru the gutter and drops another for oil sender and then splits for coil and rest goes down towards starter. It was funny to me why the orange wire was so long it was zig zaged to match the lenght of the rest. But im glad its all figured out.
i didnt think off the heater earlier because its heater delete. this car is radio delete, non power steering and drums all round and had a 10bolt with 3.36 rear ratio. Was 283 with a glide. Now its 327 th350 and 12bolt 3.07 ratio.
thanks .
chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life