What dimensions for a shop workbench?

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Re: What dimensions for a shop workbench?

Post by Splitter » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 pm

image.jpg
Installed bottom shelf and toe kick, build top ladder with slots for six drawers and cut out face frame for drawers. I'm using 3/4" shop grade birch plywood, it's basically good one side plywood that wasn't quite good enough. It's very smooth and flat with no voids, has some surface defects and/or ugly coloration but I'll be painting it anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:55 am

Looks really good but in my experiences I find its best to have the vice on the corner.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:58 am

Lol, yeah I just set the vise there for the picture, it'll be mounted at the far corner.

ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:12 am

Unless those back legs are attached to the wall that bench is going to loosen up over time and sway left and right, as it gets beat on and used. Add some triangulations from the bottom of each back leg to the top of the next one. Should also do the same to stiffen it front to back, at least on the ends and certainly under the vise. If you want to keep full length access to the lower shelf you could use shorter pieces, maybe 12-16" and just go from the middle of the front and back legs up to the middle of the upper front to back cross pieces. That wouldn't be quite as stiff but would still be a nice improvement. For the triangulations you could use pieces the same size as the legs but they don't need to be that big so you could rip them in half. Oh, a short sill plate sitting on top of the back of the lower shelf will keep stuff from falling out the back and help protect the wall if someone throws something onto the shelf, too. If you put a full size piece of plywood across the back that would take care of the left-right triangulation at the same time, but that's a more expensive way to go even if you use a very thin sheet. Anyway, just my $0.02 having used and built some not-so-sturdy and some sturdier benches over the years.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:39 am

ijames wrote:Unless those back legs are attached to the wall that bench is going to loosen up over time and sway left and right, as it gets beat on and used. Add some triangulations from the bottom of each back leg to the top of the next one. Should also do the same to stiffen it front to back, at least on the ends and certainly under the vise. If you want to keep full length access to the lower shelf you could use shorter pieces, maybe 12-16" and just go from the middle of the front and back legs up to the middle of the upper front to back cross pieces. That wouldn't be quite as stiff but would still be a nice improvement. For the triangulations you could use pieces the same size as the legs but they don't need to be that big so you could rip them in half. Oh, a short sill plate sitting on top of the back of the lower shelf will keep stuff from falling out the back and help protect the wall if someone throws something onto the shelf, too. If you put a full size piece of plywood across the back that would take care of the left-right triangulation at the same time, but that's a more expensive way to go even if you use a very thin sheet. Anyway, just my $0.02 having used and built some not-so-sturdy and some sturdier benches over the years.
The end legs are anchored to the wall studs, and both the shelf and the top are anchored to the studs at the ledger. That will stabilize the back. The surface sheets should hold the front steady. Also glued all the joints with construction adhesive to keep them from loosening over time. I know what you mean regarding 'sway'; I had initially consider sheeting the front of the bench and cutting in cabinet doors on the bottom, but then that creates other problems with accessibility, doors falling off etc.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:47 am

Almost done! Build and hung drawer boxes, they are 16" wide by 18" deep, same 3/4" plywood, hung on 16" Accuride ball bearing slides. Also installed gable end panels and two layers of 3/4" birch plywood on top. Just need drawer pulls, metal countertop surface and a coat of paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:52 am

image.jpg

ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Looks better than some kitchen cabinets I've seen =D> Should last you a long, long time.

77cruiser
Expert
Expert

Post by 77cruiser » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:54 pm

100_3760.JPG
100_3760.JPG
A little late but mine is 40 H by 31 D, & yes they do collect a lot of shit.
Also a pic of my vise mounting, good n solid.
Jim

machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm

There is always an object that needs to hang below a workbench so I really like your idea of that vise mounted on a separate stand.

77cruiser
Expert
Expert

Post by 77cruiser » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:05 pm

The pipe support is bolted to the floor.
Jim

machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 pm

77cruiser wrote:The pipe support is bolted to the floor.
I am going to do that with my vise. Great idea. Thanks.

calibrator

Post by calibrator » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:50 pm

ijames wrote:Looks better than some kitchen cabinets I've seen =D> Should last you a long, long time.
^+1