Hydrocarbon refigerant . Do or not Do?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Hydrocarbon refigerant . Do or not Do?

Post by pdq67 »

I don't know if M/B ever got it done commercially, but they were trying to use good old, (GHG), CO2 as a refrigerant in their vehicles.

Seems the stuff has a low side pressure of 2,500 psi and a high side of 3,000 psi...

You add this to 48 volt electrical systems, (or whatever high voltage?), and I wouldn't want to be a 1st Responder!!

Back before I retired from MO's APCP, I had a list of almost ALL of the EPA approved refrigerants because of any possible air pollution problems.. I would read the Fed. Reg. daily and add to my list every time a new one was approved to keep up..

I will bet a $Buck to a donut hole that onna these days somebody is going to find out that R-12 and R-22 aren't as bad as what everybody made them out to be!! Same way with Methylene Chloride, Chlordane, DDT, and a bunch of other stuff.. Add Methyl T-Butyl Ketone to this too since we have had ETHANOL shoved up our asses!!!

pdq67
user-23911

Re: Hydrocarbon refigerant . Do or not Do?

Post by user-23911 »

The main problem with chlorinated hydrocarbons is that with heat , they decompose and one of the products is phosgene, COCl.
If you smoke cigarettes and use paint stripper at the same time , there's a very real chance you'll start getting real bad headaches or worse. It happened to someone I know.
Smoking is bad for your health?