Hydrocarbon refigerant . Do or not Do?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: Hydrocarbon refigerant . Do or not Do?

Post by ijames » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:01 am

Don't know if anyone cares or not, but the EPA just approved five refrigerants for various stationary uses in the US (all are already approved in Europe) last week. These are all ozone safe and have global warming potentials less than 675. Three are hydrocarbons: ethane is approved for low temperature refrigeration units, isobutane for retail refrigeration units and vending machines, propane for home refrigerators and freezers and vending machines, and R-441A for retail refrigeration, vending, and room air conditioning units (this is a blend of the hydrocarbons ethane, isobutane, n-butane, and propane). Finally, difluoromethane (HFC-32) is approved for room air conditioning. All of these hydrocarbon refrigerants are exempted from the prohibition against discharge to the atmosphere, but HFC-32 must be captured during maintenance or equipment disposal. The news blurb I read did not go into any details on quantity limits but my guess is that there will be limits on at least the products that go into living spaces. I did a quick scan at www.epa.gov but couldn't find any info there yet. Again, these approvals are all for new stationary equipment, not for any mobile uses or retrofits.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:31 pm

I don't know if M/B ever got it done commercially, but they were trying to use good old, (GHG), CO2 as a refrigerant in their vehicles.

Seems the stuff has a low side pressure of 2,500 psi and a high side of 3,000 psi...

You add this to 48 volt electrical systems, (or whatever high voltage?), and I wouldn't want to be a 1st Responder!!

Back before I retired from MO's APCP, I had a list of almost ALL of the EPA approved refrigerants because of any possible air pollution problems.. I would read the Fed. Reg. daily and add to my list every time a new one was approved to keep up..

I will bet a $Buck to a donut hole that onna these days somebody is going to find out that R-12 and R-22 aren't as bad as what everybody made them out to be!! Same way with Methylene Chloride, Chlordane, DDT, and a bunch of other stuff.. Add Methyl T-Butyl Ketone to this too since we have had ETHANOL shoved up our asses!!!

pdq67

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Post by joe 90 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 pm

The main problem with chlorinated hydrocarbons is that with heat , they decompose and one of the products is phosgene, COCl.
If you smoke cigarettes and use paint stripper at the same time , there's a very real chance you'll start getting real bad headaches or worse. It happened to someone I know.
Smoking is bad for your health?