Does blending fuel really "work"

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

forcefed86
Does blending fuel really "work"

Post by forcefed86 »

I’m talking about ethanol specifically here, but the question would apply to mixing any fuel I’d think?

I’ve got a few empty fuel drums and I was thinking of blending my own “E50” mix with our pump “E85” and premium ethanol free 91 octane.

I figure I’d need about 19 gallons of 91 octane and 36 gallons of “e85” to get a 50% (ish) ethanol mix. I’m worried the fuel won’t mix in the drum to combine a true 50/50 mix but that it will separate. Will the 2 fuels really combine to make one consistent mixture? I’m worried with the drum sitting in the shop stationary for months at a time the heavier fuel would settle to the bottom and be pumped out first.

Thanks
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Does blending fuel really "work"

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

e-85 will mix with gasoline, and yes you can make your own blend. That is how flex fuel vehicles operate......

Ethanol and gas/ethanol blends tends to absorb water over time, and for that reason it does not KEEP as well as gasoline.
Your drum may end up with a heavy layer on the bottom, but it will be a layer of gas over a layer of bad tasting whiskey.

Your humidity may vary!
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

If you're doing blending, then go the extra step. There's other ingredients that can be added to absorb water, like acetone, isopropyl alcohol and detergent.

Dunno about that first link from "Diesel witch doctor"...lots of mistakes.

Modern fuel tanks are pretty much sealed so they shouldn't be able to get water in there. The biggest problem is eliminating the last % of water at source when it's being made.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

joe 90 wrote: Dunno about that first link from "Diesel witch doctor"...lots of mistakes.
You should contact him -- he solicits comments and I am sure he would welcome correction of factual errors.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

You need a catalyst ingredient to help control phase separation. Not the best but, certainly the most easy to get is Methyl Ethyl Keytone; (MEK)
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

What's your reason for blending fuel? Just curious.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
forcefed86

Post by forcefed86 »

woody b wrote:What's your reason for blending fuel? Just curious.
Few reasons.

Most important is the sludge build up I get on the injectors with high percentages of ethanol. (70%+) With E50 this build up is not an issue.

Local E85 Pumps vary from 30-90% it's a total crap shoot and I have to retune the car everytime I fill up.

The blender stations use 87 octane blended with ethanol. I figure 91 octane might help a bit.

Fuel system demand. I'm right around 900 crank hp which is pushing the limit of my fuel pump/injectors/lines. E50 would drop the demand a ton.