When to change Fluid?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

When to change Fluid?

Post by BOOT » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:26 am

How often do you change your trans or rearend fluid on a S/S car? Or when should you?

Been a few years and was considering at least the trans.
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

autogear
Pro
Pro

Re: When to change Fluid?

Post by autogear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:50 am

Assuming you have a stickshift:

In manual gearboxes, checking the fluid is one of the only ways you can diagnose the condition of the gearbox without a teardown, so for racing applications, we recommend once a race weekend. I know guys go longer; but draining the fluid removes contaminants and allows you to see how much particulate is in the oil (and stuck to the magnet).

For a street strip car, I would say once a season is adequate. My family members with stickshift hotrods, I have them change it when they change their engine oil (which is about once a year here in the northeast). Its easy to remember and you're only looking at what $12 or so. If you've been racing it a lot, I would change the oil (again to get the particulate out). If your gearbox has open ball bearings, its the metallic grit going through the bearings that shortens their lifespan much more so than the power of the engine. Switching to sealed ball bearings and venting the gearbox will extend the life of the bearings immensely.