Air Compressor cabinet

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Air Compressor cabinet

Post by BOOT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:39 am

Ok I'm converting an old sunroom into a workshop area because I wanna keep most of the drilling, grinding, porting and cutting mess out of my garage. It'll also be easier/cheaper to heat in the winter.

I like to use air for porting and most other things, so figured I should build a cabinet in the corner for the air compressor to keep noise down. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the outside vent since one side will be on an outside wall and maybe a way to keep noise form getting out at the same time so I can do late night projects w/o my neighbors complaining. Or any suggestions for what to maybe line the inside and dampen noise. I was thinking maybe some 2" Styrofoam sheets for the inside.
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

Monza Harry

Re: Air Compressor cabinet

Post by Monza Harry » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 am

Quiet air intake will be tough, I have no real good suggestions other that use a long duct and that will help some [think how much tail pipes help out your hot rod]. As for the walls I think you need what is sometimes referred to as library walls, leave outside as is, and add studs between the outside ones so that the inner can't transmit directly to the out side wall, this and good "rubber" feet on the compressor will help out considerably. Roxul is supposed to be a better acoustic insulation than Fiberglass. These are on my short list for my garage, eventually. I hope this gives you some idea's to work with. Harry

Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Look into studio sound isolation concepts.

quiet air for the studio and the like.

I have the Master handbook of acoustics that gives a lot of ideas for HVAC isolation and general decoupling for studio purposes, maybe you can find a copy in you library or online)

It is possible to quiet it down quite a bit, however it is pretty hard to get it really quiet and still have it cool the compressor.

putting it in a corner is probably the worst place as you get a gain of about 12-15dB.. ( that is a lot.. doubling the power on an amp will get you 3 db..)

So a floating box in a box with the compressor decoupled on dampers and some kind of maze with damping to quiet down the intake. it need to be very tightly sealed otherwise it wont work

Maybe it is better to get a really quiet compressor you have ones that only produce 60 dB and there is no way you can cheaply/simply build something that will get it that far down
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Pro ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha

Rosenbluth

Post by Rosenbluth » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:58 pm

Might check out solberg air filters. The are what most compressors come with from the factory. They make silencers that will quiet it down a lot. Also, add a couple elbows between the air filter and the head. It'll help dampen some frequencys going around the bends of the elbows. If you don't have rubber pads under the feet, add some. Lotta rattle noise can come from the feet hammering on the bare concrete. I've seen guys pipe their air intake into an attic, another room, or even outside. Boxing the comp. is an option but you'll hafta get cool air in and hot air out to keep it alive long term.

Monza Harry

Post by Monza Harry » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:20 pm

When I posted about the "air intake being tough" I was referring to the compressor venting intake, to keep it cool, if it lets air in, it will let noise out. That will be the tough part. There is surely a way to reduce noise some, with baffling and material choice, but I have yet to find my ideal answer. The compressors inlet can be quieted down quite effectively, I think an air box will be the best effective outcome, be it with large plumbing fittings as others advised or your own multifaceted creation. Remember to draw your air from the coolest DRY place possible. Dry air in [the cooler the better] equals dry air out [+/-] . Another point I forgot to mention in my earlier post is to use one of the stainless steel braided lines [hot water tank(?) available in different diameters and lengths] from the compressor to the shop air lines, so that a minimum of noise is transmitted through your air plumbing. Harry http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4 ... /205077163

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 am

Buy a quiet air compressor would be a start. There's alot of loud one's out there. The screw type one's are really quiet if you can afford the $5,000 price.
Joe Facciano

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:24 pm

The screw type one's are really quiet if you can afford the $5,000 price.
I've got just the unit for you. Do you have a 100-amp three-phase service into that residential sunroom? A 25-hp Kaeser and your hand porting grinder will never run out of air. Ran good when removed and only $750.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Kinda forgot I started a few threads over here.

Thanks for the info guys, it gave me stuff to look into. I've decided to pipe(soft line between compressors to not transmit vibration) the air in for now and only use it during hours that won't annoy neighbors. Room is small and I think it's gonna be more crowded than I thought at 1st, but I'll deff get some padding to put under the compressor n maybe try a quieter air filter. Least I won't have to worry bout over heating it now, still think some baffling using a foam or something might of helped. I know the 3" of foam board insulation sound proofed the room some.

Packard what is the size of that, did a quick search and it's an interesting unit.
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!