Diagonal Link diameter? Material? Does it matter?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

forcefed86
Diagonal Link diameter? Material? Does it matter?

Post by forcefed86 »

I had a nice Chromoly 1" diagonal link installed. Lost a drive shaft and it bent the link. Buddy has a 3/4 mild steel link handy that he will give me. Last race of the season coming up this Saturday. Any harm in running the 3/4"? It just seems a bit flimsy... I notice they sell 3/4" mild steel links so I assume this is fine? Link is only 30" long.

This is on a ladder car. Nothing too radical. 3000lb race weight, 1.3x 60' 160 trap car.

Thanks!

old

New

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Diagonal Link diameter? Material? Does it matter?

Post by pdq67 »

Imho, if the link is in tension, mild steel should be fine!

But if it is in compression, you want it STIFF because it will behave like a "column"!

Sorry, probably not of much help...

pdq67
forcefed86

Post by forcefed86 »

Thanks I couldn't do it. Had a friend make me up a 1". Since switching over the the diag link and removing the panhard bar there is a ton of body movement independent of the rear suspension. At speed the ass end literally wiggles back and fourth just like this video. Starting at 80ish and it gets worse the faster I go. I let up around 110. So I put the pan hard bar back on and the "wiggle" is gone. Whats the consensus here? The car is very nose heavy. (haven't had it on scales) but I'd bet at least 70% up front.

https://youtu.be/SeCy3k4ADt8
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

If it bent (without being struck by something) at 1", I'd go up up to 1-1/4" (same mtl., same wall).
That increases more than doubles bending resistance with very little weight or clearance penalty.