Build a Lightning Bronco?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Build a Lightning Bronco?

Post by Carnut1 »

af2 wrote:Also Tenatious is a word seldom used until you see builds like this.. Nice!!
I will take that as a compliment. Thanks!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Carnut1 wrote:
af2 wrote:Also Tenatious is a word seldom used until you see builds like this.. Nice!!
Hell yea!!!!!! =D>
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

af2 wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:
Hell yea!!!!!! =D>

Moving in a few days and I need to finish this up for Mikey. Feelin the stress and you just made my day. Thanks!
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

20151117_155036.jpg
Post mortem cont. Mains toast, crank .010 wear on rods. Cam shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

20151117_154103.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I can see the vacuum part of this build being a problem!
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

20151123_160303.jpg
If all goes well we will try this out tomorrow. Wish me luck I haven't broken in a flat tappet in twenty years and never a Ford flat tappet. The lifter alignment was horrible.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Lightning engine started as soon as we gave it spark! Only let it run a minute because I have no idea where the timing is set or even how to set the timing on one of these fi Fords. Rockers seem very noisy. Hoping the rockers are not past their sweep. I would think they would be fine on this mild cam but I did not check clearance. The pushrods maybe too long too after milling heads, decking block and .027" head gaskets. Ugh, the stress. Moving to Florida friday. Need to get the bugs out for Mikey.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Thanksgiving morning and my last day to work on the Bronco. Rockers were noisy when we fired it up for a minute a few days before. Decision time, time the motor and break the cam in when I am here or let the project sit, probably till spring? Mikey decided we should break in the cam knowing that if the rockers are past their max lift and bottomed out or pushrods are too long that we could burn the cam, he decides we should break it in. So the break in went well but the tap stays the same. A fast tap, definately from valvetrain. Possible the rockers are hitting the stock gt aluminum valve covers? I don't know. No time to pull the intake back off and inspect. After break in and timing set she idled with a sweet mild lope just a tick over stock. Very responsive to throttle input, enough to nearly collapse the stock lightning air intake. No leaks of water, oil, or exhaust and no blown codes. We decided to run the stock bronco computer first. Seems fine. The exhaust is mellow going through a single flowmaster for now. The exhaust was strictly hot air and water vapor. No smell at all. I am sure an efficient burn. I just wish I had a bit more time to fix the tap. Oil free of debris and golden
631-816-4911
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

I have run stock rockers with e303 cam and its .498 lift, so you should be good, also they did not touch the valve covers.. Did you check each one for preload as they were being torqued and use the shims as needed to get them all close to each other preload wise?

XE lobes tend to be noisy and those cast aluminum valve covers don't help much to quiet anything down...
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Sorry for the long reply time. Just got to Florida, I see I screwed this build up due to lack of experience with 351w and the non adjustable valvetrain. When I bolted it together I felt the lifter plunger travel was a bit more than I liked but thought it was ok and did not bottom out the lifter. I feel the pushrods may be too long and just using old sled rockers that sweep farther than they did with a stock cam could be causing the noise. Thanks for the input.
631-816-4911
Gillesdecourse

Post by Gillesdecourse »

I feel bad for your because you put a lot of work and care into this build and you are not able to feel the reward, yet. I'm sure it'll be a real beast once all is fixed.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Gillesdecourse wrote:I feel bad for your because you put a lot of work and care into this build and you are not able to feel the reward, yet. I'm sure it'll be a real beast once all is fixed.

Thanks, except for the noisy rockers the engine sounds really nice. Just the way I wanted it. Mellow torque monster to move those big tires and plenty up top. Unfortunately Mikey will need to get someone else to pop the upper plenum off and check the rockers and geometry.
631-816-4911
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Sorry about Your valvetrain problems there, on an otherwise coooool build.

Hope you figure out the probs this Winter and fire up Your Bronco soon....

Nice to have a build thread on here and not just Tech- questions/ .discussions. How about a engine- build/ Project section in here?
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Caprimaniac wrote:Sorry about Your valvetrain problems there, on an otherwise coooool build.

Hope you figure out the probs this Winter and fire up Your Bronco soon....

Nice to have a build thread on here and not just Tech- questions/ .discussions. How about a engine- build/ Project section in here?

I appreciate the kind words. I did this project as a favor to an old friend as I knew I was moving away and his pride and joy had been dead a while. He will need to get some help fixing the noisy rockers!
631-816-4911