diy spray insulation.

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

bunner engines

diy spray insulation.

Post by bunner engines » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17 pm

anybody used any of the kits out there ? if so what brand did you use and how did you like it ?
it always cost less to do it right the first time!

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Re: diy spray insulation.

Post by Splitter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:35 pm

I've never used one personally, but I've sold quite a few of the Dow Froth Paks, didn't get any complaints. Here's what I know. The Froth Pak 200 covers 200 sf at 1" thick, giving an R value of 6. But R value is only part of the benefit, it also seals air leaks and is a moisture barrier. When used to insulate a tin building, it will prevent condensation from forming on the backside of the metal and causing corrosion or moisture damage. Depending on the area you need to insulate, and the ease of access to the area, it may be more economical to hire a spray foam truck to do the job. Example, for insulating the rim joists on a house, do it yourself. Insulating the inside of a tin shed, call in the pros. For protective gear you should have disposable coveralls, goggles and a good respirator. Basically the same stuff you'd wear if you were painting a car.

ec1

Re: diy spray insulation.

Post by ec1 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:09 am

I used the foamitgreen.com kits. I have a pole barn with trusses 4 ft on center. Was poor at the time so I made a ceiling out of insulation only. On the top of the "ceiling" 2x4's I set 2 inch foam boards and temporarily secured them with long screws and some giant hex stamped lightweight washers. Had to notch around the points where the truss arms intersect. Then i foamed all the seams to lock everything in from underneath. It wasn't too bad doing the seams like that. I would do it this way again. Just buy lots of extra tips because you will go through them, anytime you stop for about 30 seconds the tip clogs and must be discarded. Then hung Prodex reflective insulation on the bottom of the 2x4's and that was my ceiling. R value of about 20 in the ceiling for cheap. I wouldn't have any input for doing large areas with the foamitgreen kits, but doing seams it was great.