Dyno cell noise cancellation

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

Tom Cannon

Dyno cell noise cancellation

Post by Tom Cannon » Wed May 04, 2016 10:59 am

Is it possible to make 8000 rpm whisper quiet?

I own a building that was a Bakery. One of the basements has a room that the boiler was in. To me it looks like a built in dyno cell, would be perfect really. I wouldn't want to get the neighbors upset with me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Re: Dyno cell noise cancellation

Post by Sir Yun » Thu May 12, 2016 5:59 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_l73G ... ef=2&pli=1

while not about dyno cells the basic principles do apply.
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Pro ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha

Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 am

I'm going to generalize here, because I'm far from an expert...

The thing to remember is that you can isolate, or you can absorb, or you can do a little of both.

The problem with isolation is it is design intensive - things like floating floors and walls that are very heavy and isolated from contact with each other and other structures. Room-inside-a-room stuff often using special materials and fasteners/adhesives.

The problem with absorption is it that it is frequency-dependent and the lower the frequency, the harder it is to absorb. Also, special materials are involved and they aren't cheap.

If you are interested, go to recording studio forums and read up. I've got a studio but I only needed to absorb to stop reflections causing listening issues at the mixing position so that's nothing like trying to stop noise from escaping the space. Honestly, starting in a basement is a pretty good first step there, since you don't care about noise coming IN.

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 am

I wouldn't think this would be a big deal since a dyno run is usually only about 3 or 4 minutes long, with the actual WOT dyno run only lasting 5 seconds or so.
Joe Facciano

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:39 pm

However short-lived, the bellow of open headers is not music to everyone's ears. Many years back we were tuning my pal's 1600 cc Formula Ford in my driveway, checking for spark retard at 6,000 RPM. When we shut it down, we realized that a neighbor had been screaming himself hoarse all the while, telling us to shut that <%$@# thing off! :roll:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

j-c-c

Post by j-c-c » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Rick Finsta wrote:I'm going to generalize here, because I'm far from an expert...

The thing to remember is that you can isolate, or you can absorb, or you can do a little of both.

The problem with isolation is it is design intensive - things like floating floors and walls that are very heavy and isolated from contact with each other and other structures. Room-inside-a-room stuff often using special materials and fasteners/adhesives.

The problem with absorption is it that it is frequency-dependent and the lower the frequency, the harder it is to absorb. Also, special materials are involved and they aren't cheap.

If you are interested, go to recording studio forums and read up. I've got a studio but I only needed to absorb to stop reflections causing listening issues at the mixing position so that's nothing like trying to stop noise from escaping the space. Honestly, starting in a basement is a pretty good first step there, since you don't care about noise coming IN.
I think you greatly understated your grasp of this issue :D

miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Look up your local egg farmer, and purchase a pallet of egg-trays to cover some of the walls and ceiling.