Cast Valve seat question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RedRacer

Cast Valve seat question

Post by RedRacer »

When installing a replacement seat in a cast iron head (intake side), what kind of seat is both durable and machines real nice. Some of the seats we have been using are really hard on the seat cutter. But we get some heads that have had seats put in that machine real nice. Application is circle track. Gotta call tucker seats or someone like that and see what the scoop is, but if someone here can chime in and give some real world info that would be cool, thanks, red
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

Red,

For most race applications with a stainless valve & leaded race fuel
I'll use a ductl iron seat, .. machines nice.

I also get seats from martian-Wells, .. they have two seats, ..
well-tite, the really hard stuff and I NEVER use, .. or Mar-tite witch
is what I use often. Works well with stainless valves in a race application
and machines very nice.

I'll use copper with a titianium valve or some times with a stainless
valve.

Curtis[/b]
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
RHC

Post by RHC »

I use valve seats from precision engine parts they machine well and are very reasonable in price i also make seats from a material that we call nbc-1 it stands for non beryilium copper it works as well if not better than beryilium copper .and its the only material that would hold up well with the new Stealth micro pvd titanium valves .
RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Good tips guys, Curtis - do you use the mar-tite seat only on the intake side, or can you use it on exhaust side, thank you, red
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

Red,

If it's a stainless or stock valve on leaded race fuel I'll use
the Mar tite on exhaust too. No reason for hardened exhaust
seats uless it's unleaded fuel, .. etc.

I'd like to hear what others are doing for all these turbo engines, ???

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
SWB
Pro
Pro

Post by SWB »

I've used Tucker and SBC which are about the same hardness (pretty hard ~ Rc 45). I've used them on both intakes and exhausts, but if you're using stones to do the seats, or if you don't have the ability to cut seats at higher speeds than most seat and guide machines, you'll probably hate them. The tuckers grind more cleanly than do the SBC's and won't load up the stone if that's your method. Tucker is also made in the USA while SBC is now made in China (if that is important to you).

I've used ductile iron seats in the past and they both cut and grind very easily.

I should mention that most of the stuff I do works with unleaded fuels, so the harder seats are important. With leaded race gas, I don't really worry about it.

SWB