461 sbc chevy heads

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
461 sbc chevy heads

Post by fdicrasto »

WTB- sbc 461 casting #'s cylinder heads. Need late 1962-early 63 date codes. Trying to complete a 300 hp 327 to sell as a complete 63 engine
but the 461's I have are 1965 date code. Phil D. I am in Bradenton FL so shipping could be an issue.
thedynoguy

Re: 461 sbc chevy heads

Post by thedynoguy »

did you go over to Guck's when you were in town last month? He may have what you are looking for...
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

We've got 2-3 pair. My guy is checking date codes and we'll let you know.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

All of ours are '64-65. We can ask around, but what are they worth these days?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

PackardV8 wrote:All of ours are '64-65. We can ask around, but what are they worth these days?
They aren't very valuable for performance situations unless the X style and where rules limit choices but in my situation, I just want to get this motor close to correct numbers wise for a resto application.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

thedynoguy wrote:did you go over to Guck's when you were in town last month? He may have what you are looking for...
Tom, I can't afford his prices.
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

PackardV8 wrote:All of ours are '64-65. We can ask around, but what are they worth these days?
Yeah what does a date code guy pay for a set? Buddy of mine has 10-12 sets but I don't want to hassle him to look if its not worth his time.
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro

Post by bubbabbc »

racinnut15xm wrote:
Yeah what does a date code guy pay for a set? Buddy of mine has 10-12 sets but I don't want to hassle him to look if its not worth his time.

This is a very good question that has gone unanswered. The OP stated to one response that he couldn't afford someone's price, without knowing what that price would be. Just curious, in this application (461 sbc heads), what does the desired date codes add to the price of a set of heads? Both raw castings and finished heads.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

you make a good point, just need a fairly priced set that are not necessarily exact numbers matching, just year match. I will look at whatever is offered and whatever condition and not be bent over in the process.
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro

Post by bubbabbc »

Again, the topic is addressed and still not answered. So as "not to get bent over", what do you consider a fair price for the set of heads you mentioned?
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Whatever the market will bear. Am I different from anybody on the planet by looking for comparison pricing? I don't have all the answers to what parts are worth to the owner of the particular parts. They have to determine that and I will consider it on my own. If someone has a pair of rebuildable heads and they want $900 for them I will probably pass. Does that answer your question at least in part? I buy and sell many things from stocks to antique furniture to race engines. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose but the win is what I am after.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

I'll add some fuel to the fire: Last year I sold a matched pair of 63 castings (same date code both heads) that were bare for $300. At one time they had had guides put in and seats ground. They had sat unprotected on a shelf for so long that they need to be redone. I've been told that was too cheap; should have flea bayed 'em, yada- yada. They were not x castings and were totally useless to me so both the purchaser and the seller were happy; that's probably all that matters.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Thank you Ks, I would have paid that for them too but that is how things work. I have a feeling you were satisfied with what you got and no one knows how much more had to be invested in them to ready them. Like you said, they weren't the X heads so not the most sought after anyways. Been there as far as selling something to get gone and once gone all the comments about how much more valuable.