Chevelle Brake Dielema, Power V Manual

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro
Chevelle Brake Dielema, Power V Manual

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Hello all, I'm looking for ideas, opinions, experience on a situation I have with a 68 Chevelle restomod project. The car is a moderate performance 434 big block TH350 combo. I converted the manual drum brake setup to a 12 in. late 90s? Camaro disk in front while retaining the stock 9.5 in drums in the rear. My dilemma is do I go to a power setup or retain the manual brakes? I believe I will have vacuum to operate a booster. I know power brakes would be nice but the clean looks, simplicity and valve cover clearance of a manual setup is really appealing. any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
pitts64

Re: Chevelle Brake Dielema, Power V Manual

Post by pitts64 »

Might want to try extending the brake pedal to a higher ratio... I experimented with this on my 64 Pontiac by lowering the brake pedal, worked like a charm.. You could get an old pedal and extend it with a peace of steel and some bolts...
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Well the decision has been made, gonna run with a manual brake setup. I sourced a 70s Corvette manual brake master cylinder with a 1" bore will run through the stock distribution block then add a 10lb residual pressure valve to the rear brakes in conjuntion with a Willwood adjustable prop valve. Just in case I don't like the manual brakes I did check to see if I can remove the valve cover with a stock booster and it will work. Now on to plumbing it all up.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

How happy you'll be with this in traffic is significantly affected by your idle speed and stall speed.
I tried that way back, and had to jam my left knee under the steering column in traffic to keep the &%#@(* from rolling on me.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

You might check, but I think a power M/C has a shallow hole in the piston for the rod to sit in and a manual, a deep hole piston.

The main thing no matter what you use is to make sure the pushrod CAN-NOT drop out of the M/C's piston IF it sticks in!! If that pushrod falls out, there ain't no BRAKES!

And you may be able to just move everything up or down on the firewall brake bracket to get more leverage. Then move the rod to the brake pedal hole.

pdq67
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Good point on the MC hole depth. I ordered a manual brake MC so it should be correct , but I Will double check it before final assembly. No brakes Aint good!
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Pushrod hole depth, A OK.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

If the car is regularly street driven, the 'convenience' factor should be considered. There is nothing like a well balanced power brake system, with it's low effort & feedback feel. A manual brake system requires more leg muscle & can be tiring & unrewarding if you are in traffic that requires frequent brake applications.
Plus, as you get older, creature comforts become more important....
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

FWIW, I have a real old Dave F. article about how he made a 4 wheel disc converted Chevelle stop. (At least I think it was a Chevelle that had big single piston front calipers and Seville e-brake rear calipers?)..

He installed a M/C that had a 1.25" dia. piston in it for volume to feed all four calipers. Dave said it worked out great even though the piston was thought by everybody to be way too big.

Go figure.

pdq67
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

you should talk to the guys at master power brake we did a 67 Camaro from drum on the front to disc and then used a Lincoln Versailles 9in in the rear with disc brakes and couldn't find a master cylinder to make the system work we called them and they gave a part number for a master cylinder that worked really well they do know their stuff on brake systems and have everything that you will need at a reasonable cost ...
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back again.

You might want to hunt up my, "pdqCBB" conversion over on either Team Camaro or Team Chevelle.

And I gave away my designed, "pdqCBB", 13" dia., '88 year 'Vette front rotor using 2-15/16" dia. piston big single piston caliper front caliper bracket template, free for free to anybody that wanted one as well as told them how to make this go together.

You want a FREE caliper bracket template, then PM me....

pdq67