SBC Vortec Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RGL
SBC Vortec Heads

Post by RGL »

any problems fitting these heads on a 400 block ? I know you usually drill steam holes on most 350 heads to work, but are there any other issues with these heads on this deal. Guy called me and asked, and me not being a chevy guy , i couldnt tell him defintely if they would work , he said the coolant holes were shaped a little diffrently. By the way, its a street/strip engine, with emphasis on street. thanks for any help.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I haven't looked exactly at what you are probably calling a vortec head but when I drill the steam holes I investigate the water passages within the head and between the cylinders where I intend to drill.
-Then I usually start the holes straight in about an 1/8" or so to get a nice positive starting point and then I tilt the head and drill the holes (closest to the head bolt holes) on an angle away from the bolt holes.
-The holes should really be two different sizes where I think the top holes are supposed to be about a little larger than the lower holes, like maybe .250" for the upper three holes vs .187" for the lower three holes.
-This means that the head gasket needs to be aligned onto the head pretty darn good if you are using that method to get your starting point for the drills, so that you keep the steam holes centered between the gasket beads.
-I don't recommend that you do this with a hand drill altho I have done many by hand.
Walline

Post by Walline »

I have a templete with drill sizes I could fax to you.to drill the "steam holes" the vortech head seem to work fine on 4.155 bore. The water jackets in the heads are shaped different then older SBC heads, but they will seal up just fine.
RGL
Post by RGL »

thanks guys , he brought the heads over today ,now i know what he means , no big deal , sometimes hard to picture what someone is talking about over the phone ( or internet , LOL) . i got a gasket an " ole timer Chevy guy" gave me before he retired.