block setup for machining.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mike_belben
block setup for machining.

Post by mike_belben »

had the recent good fortune of frequent access to a Rottler F80 for my honda inline 4 projects. other guys use a bubble level on the decks, but i dont trust it as half my blocks come to me over blown headgaskets/overheating. i made a magnetic indicator fixture to run up and down the cylinder walls for truing each axis, and in the future hope to go off of the crank mains with a long bar that sits in V saddles.

just wondering what you guys are doing and what concerns i should have. im willing to go the extra mile for quality.
learner

Post by learner »

The deck should be machined parallel to the main line, then the cylinders are bored perpendicular to the deck.
mike_belben
Post by mike_belben »

well this morning i honed my first block, and i dont know if it was the oil vapors in my face all day, or the diesel fumes that were in the shop for a minute toward the end.. but i got awful sick in a hurry.

been a rough two days since.

so is the most common method to insert a dowel into the crankbore and indicate off of that?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-So what do you think it was that actually made you so sick?
mike_belben
Post by mike_belben »

i went n cleaned the shop this morning and they were running up another smokey diesel. i stuck around just long enough to get a few whiffs and i think thats what it is.. seems to irritate my stomach. the other guys are just standing right there in a clowd or smoke. no thanks.

i think that time was a combination. id worked over night, not eaten, been standing next to the jetsprayer tanks and honing machine all morning, then the shop flooded with diesel smoke right when we were in the middle of something that couldnt be put down for about 40 seconds. within 20 minutes i was a mess. 3 days before i felt ok again.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I haven't been around and inside an automotive machine shop much time at all for a lot of years now, but when I do get around paint fumes, any automotive exhaust, or I see the grinding dust in the air or the machine oil vapors I get the heck out of there or it makes me sick or at the least I get a headache.
-I used to get headaches every sunday and monday after going to saturday night short oval races for 15 years and as soon as I quit being around the exhaust fumes the headaches left.
-I have finally learned that I need to wear dust masks whenever I do ANYTHING dusty or grindy, and whenever I am using coolants or grinding oils like on my valve refacer to stay healthy, and my hands don't like the oils or solvents and other chemicals anymore either.
mike_belben
Post by mike_belben »

yeah, i hate sitting in the staging lanes when the lane next to me starts moving.. and everyones rushing to clear their car out in my face. no good for you.