Cost of basic motor oil......

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert

Cost of basic motor oil......

Post by 427dart » Mon May 02, 2016 11:03 am

Will the 6.00 per qt. of the basic motor oil ever drop to reflect the huge price drop of a barrel of crude?
Think not since cars are going much longer between oil changes and it's just the companies way to keep the profit up.
Just ridiculous to be paying that much for regular non high performance oil!

Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Re: Cost of basic motor oil......

Post by Rizzle » Tue May 03, 2016 1:29 am

I doubt the base is a major factor in the price you're paying for engine oil.
The additives and overhead (research/increasing standards) I would guess to be driving costs.
The extended intervals does require better oils as well.
You can save some money by buying bulk 5Gal pails or 55gal drums if you prefer.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Sun May 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Exactly, the refined product is only slightly more related to the cost of crude oil as the price of a car is related to the cost of raw steel.

allencr267

Post by allencr267 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:39 am

The price of a qt always used to be pretty much the same as a gallon of gas since the 60's, always going up, till recently with the crude price going substantially lower.
I think it's just charging what the market will bear, lack of competition & collusion.
Supermarket's off brand oil has been about the same as gasoline, they may price the stuff at cost plus a percentage.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:20 pm

allencr267 wrote:The price of a qt always used to be pretty much the same as a gallon of gas since the 60's, always going up, till recently with the crude price going substantially lower.
I think it's just charging what the market will bear, lack of competition & collusion.
Supermarket's off brand oil has been about the same as gasoline, they may price the stuff at cost plus a percentage.
Check the API rating on that off brand oil. Any time I see oil retail for under $3/quart, it's SB rated.

Good ACEA rated oil is not cheap. It's also a great product.