548 CI BBC Advice

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

S10LS2
Re: 548 CI BBC Advice

Post by S10LS2 »

And now we have the big guy here telling him what he will make for power down to the tenth of a horsepower, lol.. Big guy is not much help fixing the real problem with setting up the lifters and oiling issues and such. As much as advertising . Op work with straub he will try his best to set you right, and figure out your issues to the best of his abilities.
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

FC-Pilot wrote:
TBART1970 wrote:Different intake on the dyno, dyno distributor, standard volume Moroso pump and standard shaft. Other than the valve adjustment, nothing was really wrong on the dyno. Oil filter from dyno runs was cut open and there was not much in there, not until I put it in the car did the problems start.
Had the same issue with a customers engine. After talking it over for an hour or so, I asked what filter he put on. He said Fram. I told him to go and get a K&N and call me back before he fired it again. 20 minutes later I got a call from him and I told him to fire it. Immediately had full pressure and never so much as bobbled from that day on.

I am just asking as a sanity check.

Paul
Wix race filter
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

S10LS2 wrote:And now we have the big guy here telling him what he will make for power down to the tenth of a horsepower, lol.. Big guy is not much help fixing the real problem with setting up the lifters and oiling issues and such. As much as advertising . Op work with straub he will try his best to set you right, and figure out your issues to the best of his abilities.
=D>
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

TBART1970 wrote: Wix race filter
Great, just wanted to keep you from going down the same road my guy did. (Sorry if it was already addressed).

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

FC-Pilot wrote:
TBART1970 wrote: Wix race filter
Great, just wanted to keep you from going down the same road my guy did. (Sorry if it was already addressed).

Paul
Never hurts to ask.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

statsystems wrote:
digger wrote:What about hemi ?
IDK...guess DV will need to chime in.
Have not got the experience with hemi's other than porting a few heads a ways back.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

TBART1970,

As so many have stated it seems like you have more problems here than just the heads I have been talking about. Although the heads, if you are hoping for a really good build, will be an issue it won't be at the moment because of all the other stuff going on. For now I will post the cylinder head stuff on my 572 thread as that has stalled due to being here. If you need anything in the way of specs to get results PM me.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

Sent heads to get flowed with the intake. Decked, valve job and maybe​ port work.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Have you identified and fixed the oiling issues yet?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

Distributor not in far enough.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

TBART1970 wrote:Distributor not in far enough.
Thanks for sharing this. It is never easy to admit that we makes mistakes some times, but the hope is that others will not make the same mistake that we do. Hopefully this will help others to make the same mistake. I know I will double check from now on.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

Back from page two.
TBART1970 wrote:Issues should be good to go on pressure, first pump was Moroso billet pump, standard volume, dyno intake and dist. In the car Injected intake, different dist. Had pressure problems from beginning. Pulled the engine put in Titan gerotor pump, slightly better but still an issue. Titan pump has a different drive at the pump and I made the mistake twice of not checking the distributor/ gear / galley alignment. Mismatched parts and trying to solve it in the car. I will take the blame, my builder is helping me fix this. I assumed (oh boy) that the intake/ distributor would not be an issue.
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

Heads are at Ceralli engines for valve job, and going to John at CFMcnc in Florida.
They need some port work.
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

Valve job alone made better flow #s. Porting made even better gains in CFM, without adding much CSA, according to the cylinder head guy. Thanks to John at CFMcnc head porting. Looking in to getting another cam (Cam King are you listening). When the heads get back to Ceralli, they will get milled and re-flowed with the intake manifold. Then I will decide.
TBART1970

Post by TBART1970 »

anyone like to guess at the dyno numbers? New compression ratio 10.24 to 1
IMG_20170805_192638298 eng2 (2).jpg
IMG_20170628_160139853 eng3 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.