AJE wheelie bars

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

AJE wheelie bars

Post by ClassKing »

Anyone using them? Pro's / con's? My car will be an NHRA S/S running 9 flat. Approx 3000 lbs.

thanks
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Re: AJE wheelie bars

Post by Jeff Lee »

I used to run the AJE bars on my NHRA D/S '70 AMX. They were worth some ET and I liked them a lot. Even used them with my SS/H engine (same stocker chassis and tires) and went as quick as 10.00 @ 133. Then I went back to Stock and NHRA decided to outlaw them due to the uprights not being acceptable in stock (they didn't like the extra attaching point). So I sold them.
Car has been down last 7+ years and I decided to keep it in D/S. Built a D/S engine. Bought a Calvert single wheelie bar that is the same principle as the AJE bar (pushes up on the frame or body but is acceptable to NHRA). There was a problem with the way Calvert made the bars so I didm't run them when I brought the car out in October '13. By the time Calvert fixed the issue...I decided to race in SS! So in the end...should have not sold the AJE bars!
I think the Calvert wheelie bar will do a good job. But to answer your question, I was very happy with the AJE bars.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
STK 758

Post by STK 758 »

They work perfect. Too bad NHRA will not let us use them.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

I actually bought jeff lees aje bars and havent used them yet. Ive heard some mix reviews on them but were about to give them a shot ill let you know how they work
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

The AJE bars are a lot less complicated than the Calvert wheelie bar I bought. Those are legal in NHRA Stock; that's why I bought them. Same principle as the AJE's. Now I've made an about face and am running NHRA SS. Should have kept the AJE bars as they are legal in SS. You will be happy with them!
What are you building?
NHRA SS/G
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

There going on my dads 69 Amx its just a small tire foot brake bracket car 427inch amc 13.2 to 1 on e85 adkins ported iron heads, torker and 1050 dominator. and 270@50 .740 lift solid roller. 727 torqueflite with a 5200 converter, 4.10s and 28 inch tires. 10 point moly cage. not finished yet but getting very close hoping it gets pretty deep in the 10's
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

I've got a 70 amx that i've been slowly gathering parts for to put together a F or G stock car with a 360 combo but its a long ways away.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

AMXstocker1 wrote:I've got a 70 amx that i've been slowly gathering parts for to put together a F or G stock car with a 360 combo but its a long ways away.
i highly suggest you build a SS out of it. Keep the Stocker suspension and tires. If I didn't have a short-block for a 390, that's exactly what I would do.
NHRA SS/G
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

I Noticed nha took hp off it in ss, i should thank you for letting ref unlimited build your headers that allowed me to just order some since they had the jig from your car. hopefully your engine is in the stock location.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

AMXstocker1 wrote:I Noticed nha took hp off it in ss, i should thank you for letting ref unlimited build your headers that allowed me to just order some since they had the jig from your car. hopefully your engine is in the stock location.
Yes...absolutely stock location. The 360 in SS is a KILLER COMBO! I’m about done putting my SS 390 together. If I were almost stupid I would have built a 360 instead! But I already had all the 390 parts. One day I will build a 360 short block.
NHRA SS/G