Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Budget pulling truck engine named (Tommy Boy)

Post by CGT »

Carnut1 wrote:Sounds like a healthy pull but I can't see a single number on that video. Please let us know the results. Thanks, Charlie
Charlie, its actually a good quality video. Try clicking on the "gear" on the bottom of the screen and changing the resolution to the highest setting.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Did I see 639 @ 7200? If that's correct pretty impressive.
Jim
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

77cruiser wrote:Did I see 639 @ 7200? If that's correct pretty impressive.
It may have flashed 639 but it printed 631 on the best pull. I call it 630 HP. Just did break 500 LBs peak TQ. Think 502 TQ was best pull with vacuum and best tune up.

Tommy Boy sure liked timing on this one.

Randy
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

randy331 wrote:
77cruiser wrote:Did I see 639 @ 7200? If that's correct pretty impressive.
It may have flashed 639 but it printed 631 on the best pull. I call it 630 HP. Just did break 500 LBs peak TQ. Think 502 TQ was best pull with vacuum and best tune up.

Tommy Boy sure liked timing on this one.

Randy
Great numbers no doubt. I remember my bowties liked either 40 or 42 degrees timing.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Which cam did you wind up running? Did you change valve jobs and retest?
Thanks Billy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Old School wrote:Which cam did you wind up running? Did you change valve jobs and retest?
Thanks Billy
It has big cam in it and it has 50* valve job now, but we didn't get to try it back to back on the dyno.

Some cheapo who shall remain nameless (Randy) thought they could get away with a cheap Chinese 2 piece timing cover for easy cam changes. It leaked bad and would let the cam walk out and back timing up. After fighting it for awhile we went to a 2 piece cover Joe had and after 2-3 pulls the bearing that runs in front of the cam broke and fell down in the oil pan, so...we ended the day on the dyno and started beer flowZ. :D

Randy
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Beer flowz! And the only seat angle that matters is the one that fits your butt, lol.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

RevTheory wrote:Beer flowz! And the only seat angle that matters is the one that fits your butt, lol.
I prefer the Serta sofa #1987 with the Colonial top CUTver (see what I did there) #1512 it butts to my seat angle well!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Planning on Tommy boy making it's first hook this weekend.

Gonna be out gunned there. An open gas engine class, we just want to see it hooked up and not bucking like a cheap auction house mule.

It's in the truck running. New dual batteries, got twin disc clutch in, new fuel tank,

It's off getting big custom battery cables made for the dual batteries, then a few odds and ends by sat.
Running it just as it was on the dyno. Braswell carb, vacuum, and crappy headers and all.

Then we'll go from there. Maybe Q16 and a bigger Braswell ? :)

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Well,..Tommy Boy made it's first hook last night. Didn't go far and broke a U joint.
It broke the only one he didn't replace with good U joints. That one was wrong one when he got them, so he put an old one back in to make this pull.

Engine sounded good and no bucks or hopping at least in the distance he went.

The track was bad. Several guys loaded back up and didn't hook.

Question for truck pullers?

It's still an open front end (so far). It had spun the left front more than right. I suggested a spool for front too but he is hesitant because several local pulling guys say that causes the right left steering whip you see in some trucks and other problems.
Is that true ?

We added weight to the left front and went to staggered tire pressure in the front, and that helped, but I don't see why a spool wouldn't be better ???

Front end rise ??
When the front end goes up, the hitch has to go down on a truck sitting on stops in the rear. I can't see that being good.
Other than more weight out front, Ideas for limiting front end rise without causing other trouble ??

Hope to have it back together for this weekends pull.

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

What front end does it have? Back in my muddling days the preference was a locker in the rear and a clutch pack possi up front, Dana 44 as I remember.

Build you some adjustable travel limiters and test.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

You can weld it or put a spool in it but, be forewarned that if you break an axle it will likely dart possibly into a wall and or break the other axle. Best to use a power lock or trac lock or something of that nature. If it is welded or spooled, he will have to pull on the track and get the wheels straight before locking both sides in.
Pullin' for Christ
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Tommy boy made another hook.

Engine seems good, broke driveshaft.

Here's a video of the pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZR1Pew ... e=youtu.be

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Hook #3 tomorrow.

New driveshaft with larger yokes.

Just like to see it make a no broken parts pull.

What would be a good target MPH for tire speed on this type of truck ?

Randy
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

To start with set the rears to about 40# and the front at about 16#. Can't know on speed without knowing type of sled and current sled speeds. You'll want to set the gearing up where the motor will rev about 5-600 past peak horsepower going down the track.

Bret
Pullin' for Christ