FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

Here's day 2
https://youtu.be/G7yG70vQYYg

Also a beta version of the CNC router kit popped up yesterday for $100 so I grabbed it. The guy who had it didn't have time to mess with it, not that I have time either but its for the kids so :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Mark
Mechanical Engineer
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Did y'all get bored? I haven't had much free time lately but I am following along. :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Little one did get a little bored and times been short...plus some of the meleline parts are spongy and weak and will need to be replaced....which means I need to dig out the mill and bandsaw and put the shop back in order a bit...I was kind of planning to leave everthing until the move to the new garage but that's not evern started yet so months away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I found a place that is just coming out with billet replacements for the melemine stuff.....so I ordered replacements for the stuff I'm having trouble with and will try to get the patio chairs paint for my wife while I wait so she's happy with me again.

http://713maker.com/ft5.html
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks for the link. This is awesome that you get to go through all the pain before I order one :mrgreen: Seriously though, I look forward to making a piece of equipment better and making it "mine".

Keep on truckin :)
-Carl
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I think it's working right now

https://youtu.be/ltYuLbybxks

Time to modify! I ordered a 162x12 120V 750W pad heater and a piece of 1/4" jig plate for a print bed that goes to whatever temp I want and stays flat.

Spinners printed. Plants v zombies characters printing now, nerd gun tomorrow, the the missing velocity stack! Yay!!!!
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I finished the stack...a little short and the filament got tangled near the end of the print and I just reset and cut the g code to finish rather than start over on a temp part, but it didn't come out too bad for a 1st attempt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I have a wee bit more tuning before it drives.... but it does start so set the vume to 11

https://youtu.be/Pz-Oj4xJi2w

It got new crank and cam sensors over the weekend and seems much happier....time to tune
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Mark, good job on the 3d printer. How do you like it mechanically? I would be proud of that stack for a first try =D>

As to the car, one thing I heard while it was cranking might be a "dead hole" :shock: I base this on the uneven cranking speed. :cry:

I still think you would be better with hall vs. reluctor and I base this on changing sensors and it "got happier"

Thank You for letting us follow along. cheers :hello2:
-Carl
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Mechanically the printer is a little sketchy....you get what you pay for I guess. I need to replace the stuff that holds the print head and many other brackets. I also got a much more powerful 110V bed heater and a piece of 1/4 jig plate to make a new bed that is flat and stays flat. After that I want to re-do the Z-axis drive setup to use a single belt, it has 2 steppers and 2 belts and they can get out od sync is a step is missed which has happened to me. After that it should be pretty good and was certainly a good starting point for me just jumping into to this for the first time.

The engine...at least it started, that alone is a big step forward for me :)

I spent the weekend fighting the crank/cam sensors. I realized I had issues which needed to be fixed. I used VR originally because I've just always had good luck with them but I really didn't do a very good job on this set up. on the crank I used the oem 308 sensor and nearly the oem F360 flywheel trigger teeth....but never stopped to think about how well the 2 would work together.....the sensor has about a 2mm core, the teeth are 6mm which gave me a 3mm dead spot at the zero crossing point which in turn gave me massive jigger in the ECU timing. The cam signal is weak but usable, except the best I can figure the cam itself is not turning smoothly at cranking speed so the VR signal is noisy and unusable as a result.

So, switch to Hall for both. I had a cherry sensor sitting and they are among the best I've tested over the years so I put that on the crank. On the cam it would work but stick up weird on top of the cover so I ordered a shorter version that is just 25mm long, but it has a weird 15/32-32 thread so special tap. I only ran 2 wires in the harness so I needed a need new 3 wire subharness (I use shielded for all the sensors on this thing just to be sure).

These sensor are 5-24V but that means they need an external matched pullup resistor. I decided 5V to use sensor power...and while I was at it I misread the pinout and swapted the ground and signal. After that didn't work I figured out what I'd done and got a signal that was basically just random 0/5...WTF! it worked fine in my hand but not in the car....tried a different sensor, same result so I know the miswiring didn't damage anything....switched to 12V and both sensors worked perfect. So I cut the connectors open for the second time and swapted resistors for 12V and all was well......and the entire weekend gone....and I'm working in the HOT garage instead of the nice cool basement shop...long frustrating weekend.

But its starting reliably now and I FINALLY remembered to run the data log each time so I can start looking at what was going on. I know the throttle didn't seem to be responding correctly, bank 1/2 are showing lambda 1/1.3 which could be the dead cylinder you thought you heard....lots of data to look though and lots to debug. Really all the fuel settings are just what the dynomation sim spit out that I used as a starting point....nothing is in anyway actually tuned....lots to do.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I had it running tonight until I decided to turn it off. It warmed up to 75C, both bank lambda sensors were showing almost exactly 1.0 and it was pretty responsive to the throttle.....and it only took 9 frikin years :)

Time to DRINK!!!!!!!!!!
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Hi

absolutely love this , whats your day job , I'd love to put this in the face of every guy i pay to do the simple mundane jobs they have the equipment and experience but laziness gets in their way , I mean I'm paying them but they still wont, then look at what you are doing and solely driven by interest =D> .
I noticed the comment “ lurkers “ i never had a word for them good title . I too can never get the rod balances to be consistence but i have come up with some thing that works for me and is consistence . I have a head here we are working with and always looked at the work of moving up the intake port and wondered the effort v payoff but seeing yours i'm gona give it a shot , What you have achieved could be categorized and used as educational tool and if more were pushed to even some of this their experience level work out grow their learnt trade education

Cheers