FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

gunt wrote:Hi

absolutely love this , whats your day job

Cheers
Thanks, product development engineer. I do mechical stuff mostly these days.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

what cc is it , i thought i seen 4.8 but i cant see you pulling the figures in the desk top dyno unless with boost
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

gunt wrote:what cc is it , i thought i seen 4.8 but i cant see you pulling the figures in the desk top dyno unless with boost
5437cc

I use dynomation5 so a lit more knobs to turn than in desk top dyno. The way I have the sum set at the moment it says 920hp@8800rpm. With a Couple inches shorter stacks 930hp@9200....doable. But these are just sims, I'll need some real dyno time before locking anything down.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

mk e wrote:Yesterday the 2 quieter mufflers I ordered WAY back finally arrived and they are just beautiful and WAY nicer than I was expecting for under $120 each. They're made to order in Alabama and appearently one of the late winter stores froze the shop so they were backed up. These are the old school perforated core design but heavy gauge SS so they should last way longer than my lifetime.

http://www.stainlesssteelmufflers.com/350mufflers.htm
^^ That's my buddy, RJ (aka "Jackie"). One of the best fabricators I've ever known, and a good guy. I ran his mufflers on quite a few of my cars- they work.

He used to torment us "fast" guys with his old Willys supergas car. It hooked on anything.

On topic- Killer project; some of the finest work I've ever seen.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Hard to see with fixed cam timing but if your over what we say over here is 630 , either way its the most impressive build ive ever seen not one aspect has not been hand felted
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

n2xlr8n wrote:
mk e wrote:Yesterday the 2 quieter mufflers
^^ That's my buddy, RJ (aka "Jackie"). One of the best fabricators I've ever known, and a good guy. I ran his mufflers on quite a few of my cars- they work.

He used to torment us "fast" guys with his old Willys supergas car. It hooked on anything.

On topic- Killer project; some of the finest work I've ever seen.
Thanks.

Yes, they are great looking pieces....not as quiet as I has hoping but I still have a couple cylinders that are not exactly cooperating so I 'll hold judgement but I may need to order another set...my neighbors are tolerating my testing so far but I'm sure the good will is going to fade as time goes on if the volume remains where it currently is.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

you should trow up some of the pictures from the other forum of what you did to the block , by far i have never even heard of someone even contemplating it , for those that didn't get time to read through it
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Haven't had much time but did get to play last night a bit.

I've given up on my thought that a NBO2 sensor in the collect can give me cylinder data....it just doesn't have the response time I thought it did. So that's out.

What I added last night was add code to use the "CRANK_SpeedSparkX" where X is the cylinder number. This feature will report the the crank tooth or sum of several teeth at spark events. Everything I read say crank speed peaks about 140-170 degrees ATDC so that is what I set it to look at....and sure enough dead cylinders have longer times tooth to tooth so the crank is moving slower than it should. Nice!....except the dead cylinders part of course. I'll need to play with the threshold (I made it a table vs rpm) for what dead is so it doesn't give me false info during accel/decel but it seems good.

The multiMAP thing is really working nice (MAP on each cylinder, lowest presure goes to the ECU). I'm seeing 41kPa at idle and blipping the throttle to get it to 6k it never hits 60kPa, so a good signal for any engine and great on an ITB engine with pretty long duration cams where I was just hoping to see somthing under 70kPa at idle. I still need to get CAN setup so I can read individual cylinder MAP which I think will be helpful balancing the TB if nothing else without O2 sensors on everypipe which I have bungs for but is pretty ugly and the heaters pull a lot of amps....I may add the O2 sensors for tunign then go to the MAP readings for normal operation....I need to think about this.

I also did a compression test to see where things are now that its run a bit. 9 cylinders are 150-160, yay! one cylinder has some oil getting in and it came in at 175 so I'm thinking the oil must be through the intake, probably not sealed to the oil galley properly from the port move, I'll need to get the boroscope out. One is at 140...not sure what thats about, but I'll watch it. Then there is the one at 110 down from 125 last time I checked....that doesn't make me happy....I'll need to look into this a bit closer but hopefully this and the oil issue in #6 can be ignored until fall.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I think I had the coils setup wrong. I'm using (chinese) gm D585 coils and I thought the signal should be high to charge, low to fire but Im pretty seure thats wrong, at least on my chinese coils. Everything looked ok on the timing light but when I pulled on my cheap in-line spark indicator the signal was crap and was firing randomly in between real sparks.....like the coils were self firing because they were over dwelled. Flip the signal and one strong spark. Yup. I'm an idiot.

Its been gas fouling plugs everytime it runs which I assume is the coil setup but tonight I decide to kill the fuel at 250 and 500 rpm (0% VE) ans start with ether so I get rig of any cranking issues. It fired right up and after it warmed up a little the couple plugs I pulled looked decent. Yay. It was rough which I think is just mixture off. All the pipes were hot and the couple plugs I pulled looked decent but I['ll check the rest tomorrow before deciding what's next.

I also added a new feature that shows me the % MAP error for each cylinder compared to #12 which is where the actuator is attached. I still need to do a little more testing to be sure this is reading correctly but the idea is it will make syncing the TBs pretty easy and long term I want to use it to auto correct the fuel so it runs good between TB syncs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Sounding better....a bit of smoke at the moment though

https://youtu.be/2cOeKkw_0JI

I was wrong on the coil signal...there was an error in my code setting the dwell is 0.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Heres some MAP data.
gold is crank position 0-720 so every peak is an engine cycle
Red is the signal coming from the MAP senor board zoomed so full scale is 30-50 kPa
Cyan is with the smoothing I added....mostly damped and almost no lag. I'm using a table for the smoothing that is map vs rpm so the signle can react fasterwhen needed but be stable at cruise and idle...at least that's the theory.
Blue is the average of the cylinder MAP readings, very smooth but lots of lag becaseu even sampling at 500hz they don't nessesarily update for a few cycls depending how the timed rate matches or doesn't match crank position.
MAP smoothing 2017_07_18Capture.JPG

Heres the lambda data.....I now they were all running and I know the plugs I pulled where black and its smoking...so I'm having trouble believing that readings that show them lean. I'm pretty sure I have a new sensor on the self somewhere, I need to find it and install it.
Lambda 2017_07_18Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I have a fuel pressure problem
The cyan line in the bottom graph is fuel pressure, the blackline in the top graph is what the fuel pressure is doing to injector becasue it self correct injection time to compensate for fuel pressure variation....but this is crazy with pressure bouncing between about 7 and 40
Fuel pressure 2017_07_18 Capture 2.JPG
Here's another later run where its calmed down a bit and only bouncing 19 to 28 but drifting down the whole run. Tnhe other day I saw low fuel pressure and thought I was out of gas, I put 5 gal in, pressure looked good when I switched on the ignition and I though all was well.....clearly I was mistaken.
Fuel pressure 2017_07_18 Capture.JPG
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Well......so close but that's it for this season.

Plug 8 didn't want to come out......because it was melted. I can't really tell what I'm looking at with the cheap borescope but its clearly not good.....maybe dropped a seat and smashed it up? Don't know but its time to focus on building a garage.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Durnit Bro, that sucks. I'm sorry. It didn't sound right earlier. I wish I was wrong :(
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Mark, I'm way too distant to lend a helping hand or commiserate over a beer, but you deserve an award for persistence, another for your technical expose, and a third for the progress reports, warts and all

Yes, a nice new garage sounds like a welcome and constructive diversion :D