604 Crate Motor modded for road race

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JodyB
Pro
Pro
Re: 604 Crate Motor modded for road race

Post by JodyB »

Thanks for the insight on the motown intakes Randy!!! Great info :)
bosco

Post by bosco »

We did a test of Performer RPM vs the LS1 Victor Jr on a mild LS1 road race motor a couple years back.
Short block was essentially stock with the ASA LS cam, heads were unported 243's (cathedrals) with a 80541 BLP Holley carb. The Performer made something like 25-30 more torque between 3000-5500 and the Jr did not catch up in power until about 6000 and then only surpassed the RPM by a few HP up to 6500. The last one we put together for a customer for club road racing we put the RPM on it. Had the motor had the ability to twist to 7000 plus I am sure the Jr. would have easily outperformed the RPM.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Got ours on the chassis dyno today, I am in the hospital so was guiding the dyno operator as best I could from here. The goal was same bottom end power so we don't upset the car coming off the corner as it can't handle the power it has now due to small tire rule. It's asphalt. Anyway, the two pulls are last friday and today, 341whp and 409whp respectively. Change is cam and 2814 intake. They are off to the track for testing now, race tomorrow. the bottom of this chart is 3500 rpm and rev limiter at 6800rpm, track values were 4200-6700 so we'll have to gear it(quick change) which will soften bottom more and hopefully help the driver. ;) If I get time next week I will port the intake and experiment with spacer plates, I'm thinking I can get 425whp out of it. [-o<
IMG_0642.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I was told testing went well, went from a 5.98 gear to a 5.77 and almost 2 tenths quicker than previous best and this on a non prepped practice track. =D>
Rpm was 6500 with final gear change so should be 6600 on prepped track. I wanted to lower the rpm a bit since it's a stock bottom end. Tune is good so not too worried about pistons as I am about rod failure.
We'll see how well the team does tonight. Televised event and no In-Tech stickers on the car. #-o :mrgreen: Still stuck in the hospital.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl