2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by David Vizard »

turbo2256b wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:This is developing into a serious cylinder head competition. Not totally nailed down but think 306 and 7750 rpm capable shortblock. A little competition never hurt anyone. Well, maybe feelings.

Thats about were I am at with a set of DOOE heads and a .500 lift cam.

Have ported E7 heads that pulled 375 HP on a chassis dyno but test was stopped around 4000 RPM due to need for larger injectors.

My friends shop I worked with porting heads worked for Batton for years and got to learn more about the effects of different cylinder heads mods than most all of us. Batton owned their own dynos and at one time did most of the big threes experimental cylinder head work.

492 lbs-ft at 4000???

Sure it wasn't 275 hp for 361 lbs-ft at wheels??

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

It was a NA engine its what the dyno guy phoned the shop and told us it was in a Mark VII never heard any more about it.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

turbo2256b wrote:It was a NA engine its what the dyno guy phoned the shop and told us it was in a Mark VII never heard any more about it.
You got some BS results then. You weren't making that kind of power. Unless physics no longer holds up.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Update, my competitor has his E7's tubed and 8 angle valve job done, some Pitot work and finessing is all they need. This will be a fun test.
Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

GARY C wrote:Yes, we live in a disposable world now. Basically everything is cheaper to buy new than it is to rebuild the old, this goes for alternators, break calipers, wheel cylinders, cylinder heads and tv's...

If I already had a good usable set of stock heads and only had to port them my self I could see it, but I also have a $1500.00 SF110, a $450.00 Fordom grinder along with a Makita hand held and several years of screwing up heads... If your looking to learn how to do it yourself for future projects then using DV's writings is the way to go but it will cost you to learn but it's money well spent.

I would personally recommend focusing money on tools and "how to" education and save parts modification for later.
^^^This... to an extent. I have a lot of tools that could produce much better results than I am able to do if they were in more experienced hands. With that said, I also feel confident that I'm more skilled than I was the first time I ever attempted a porting job trying to port an aluminum iron head with an air powered "dremel" type tool from Harbor Freight using a tiny double cut burr meant for steel.

I've gotten a lot of education in my lifetime, and pretty much all of it has come at some sort of cost, be it money, time, trashing otherwise good parts, etc. If you're trying to learn this stuff, you need to be willing to accept the fact that you're not going to be perfect the first time you do it, and you'll probably end up ruining at least a few pieces of whatever you're working on. If you don't care to learn it, if you don't enjoy the countless hours sitting in the shop doing it, if you just want to reap the benefits, then save your money and don't buy the tools... pay someone else to do it.

Personally, I like doing things myself, even if I'm not the best at it. There's a sense of accomplishment that I enjoy. I'm well aware that I could ruin a part any day, and I really hope I don't, but if it happens I'm willing to accept that and move on, adjust fire, and figure out my next solution. I can't imagine that Smokey Yunick, David Vizard, John Lingenfelter, etc. was born knowing how to port heads/intakes. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Edit: Damn, I came into this thread late.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

nickpohlaandp wrote:
GARY C wrote:Yes, we live in a disposable world now. Basically everything is cheaper to buy new than it is to rebuild the old, this goes for alternators, break calipers, wheel cylinders, cylinder heads and tv's...

If I already had a good usable set of stock heads and only had to port them my self I could see it, but I also have a $1500.00 SF110, a $450.00 Fordom grinder along with a Makita hand held and several years of screwing up heads... If your looking to learn how to do it yourself for future projects then using DV's writings is the way to go but it will cost you to learn but it's money well spent.

I would personally recommend focusing money on tools and "how to" education and save parts modification for later.
^^^This... to an extent. I have a lot of tools that could produce much better results than I am able to do if they were in more experienced hands. With that said, I also feel confident that I'm more skilled than I was the first time I ever attempted a porting job trying to port an aluminum Honda cylinder head with an air powered "dremel" type tool from Harbor Freight using a tiny double cut burr meant for steel.

I've gotten a lot of education in my lifetime, and pretty much all of it has come at some sort of cost, be it money, time, trashing otherwise good parts, etc. If you're trying to learn this stuff, you need to be willing to accept the fact that you're not going to be perfect the first time you do it, and you'll probably end up ruining at least a few pieces of whatever you're working on. If you don't care to learn it, if you don't enjoy the countless hours sitting in the shop doing it, if you just want to reap the benefits, then save your money and don't buy the tools... pay someone else to do it.

Personally, I like doing things myself, even if I'm not the best at it. There's a sense of accomplishment that I enjoy. I'm well aware that I could ruin a part any day, and I really hope I don't, but if it happens I'm willing to accept that and move on, adjust fire, and figure out my next solution. I can't imagine that Smokey Yunick, David Vizard, John Lingenfelter, etc. was born knowing how to port heads/intakes. Everyone has to start somewhere.

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

nickpohlaandp wrote:

^^^This... to an extent. I have a lot of tools that could produce much better results than I am able to do if they were in more experienced hands. With that said, I also feel confident that I'm more skilled than I was the first time I ever attempted a porting job trying to port an aluminum iron head with an air powered "dremel" type tool from Harbor Freight using a tiny double cut burr meant for steel.

If you approach everything like you know nothing then you will learn something.
It all starts with a passion to learn so you can hopefully obtain the knowledge to share.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

GARY C wrote:...If you approach everything like you know nothing then you will learn something.
It all starts with a passion to learn so you can hopefully obtain the knowledge to share.
Wonderfully said. Sometimes I wish the second part of that statement could be utilized rather than hidden by a lot of guys who have succeeded in "going fast". Not so much on this forum, but on others, it seems a lot of times people would rather brag about how well they did rather than tell you how they did it. At that point I can't help but wonder why in the hell are they on a forum in the first place? Aren't forums places for people come to ask questions and learn?

I know what I know. I know what I don't know... and even worse, I have no clue about the things that I don't know I don't even know about... haha! Wrap your head around that one. :D
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

After a small setback my competitor let me know these will be the last set of E7's he will ever do! Can't blame him a bit!
631-816-4911
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Hopefully not a water sprinkler type of setback. Those kind really suck!
Carlquist Competition Engines
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Like DV said when I told him I made a sprinkler system out of his 289 head. "If you didn't grind a hole I would have said you weren't trying hard enough!".
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

WP_20170810_18_12_16_Pro.JPG
My competition sent me this pic and stated, "The gloves are off with these things!" I say, " Be careful, I know they are thick but they aren't thick everywhere!" That machine is on my wish list no doubt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

I think you would either ruin your pants or cry if you saw the centroid working up close and in person.
Carlquist Competition Engines
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

NICK-- YOUR COMMENT --Personally, I like doing things myself, even if I'm not the best at it. There's a sense of accomplishment that I enjoy. I'm well aware that I could ruin a part any day, and I really hope I don't, but if it happens I'm willing to accept that and move on, adjust fire, and figure out my next solution. I can't imagine that Smokey Yunick, David Vizard, John Lingenfelter, etc. was born knowing how to port heads/intakes. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I am with you all the way on this comment. During my life I have had some world class mentors. A lot to be thankful for.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

David Vizard wrote:NICK-- YOUR COMMENT...During my life I have had some world class mentors. A lot to be thankful for.

DV
I've had a few of those myself. You might even know one or two of them. They're unlike you in the fact that they don't go onto forums and aren't quite as public, so I'm not going to throw names out. They are getting up there in years and (I'm only guessing) probably don't want to be inundated with a million questions, emails, phone calls, etc. As these guys slow down I'm trying to get myself introduced to new mentors (hint, hint :D )