General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Ported Dart pro 1 pre platinum

Post by Carnut1 »

0204171933.jpg
Not sure if this has been finalized but a nice feature for porters was added by David. Port mach numbers one of the secrets many big boys keep to themselves. Now even an electrician can come closer to a powerful design. I like that it includes peak hp and shift rpm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Smoke ring

Post by Smoke ring »

This thread is full of interesting info, thank you to Charlie for doing this and all who posted along the way with info. The exhaust valve shape change taking care of a problem area shows how you can tune a port with a valve, and sometimes save a headache or hitting water trying to fix an area. Good stuff and a long thread to read!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I really need to finish these up after the 66 289 heads. I wonder how much info transfers? After recent wins and losses I bet I will look at these with different eyes.
631-816-4911
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Wouldn't it be more relevant to base the Mach Number on the minimum port area? With the same MCSA, a long high-taper runner/port will have a significantly greater mean port area and thus by the chart a higher Mach # than a zero-taper one. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I am not sure DV will read this or Stan but I will give my opinion. I agree with you that mcsa would be best to get the highest airspeed mach index. Why did they choose the average? Mcsa can be difficult to calc due to complex shape the other is valve seat and valve are a variable geometry which will have mcsa a good percentage of the intake stroke. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I say, call them done, put together a nice short block, and go to the dyno, that's the next step. Theory and jiving numbers non stop won't take you to the next level until you put them on something and run them.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Frankshaft wrote:I say, call them done, put together a nice short block, and go to the dyno, that's the next step. Theory and jiving numbers non stop won't take you to the next level until you put them on something and run them.
Working on it Shaft, A return customer from Long Island is interested in them. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
S10LS2

Post by S10LS2 »

Any chance you can update these ported head threads? Either on the first post or somewhere on the last post, that is within the last few weeks? Like what is the final port volume measured, as well as the cfm numbers? It is a pain to go back 20 pages even 10 pages to get caught up on the improvements made. I do not think I have seen port measurement sizes as well as cfm measured very often. What is the final numbers on these heads without me searching the thread for them. Is what I am asking. Not knocking, just asking. Just read the next post of yours and read something about a customer on long island. Is this porting you do for your own engines, or is this a buisness that you charge customers for your porting services? One more question is , have you experimented with Gen3 and gen4 chevy Ls heads yet?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

S10LS2 wrote:Any chance you can update these ported head threads? Either on the first post or somewhere on the last post, that is within the last few weeks? Like what is the final port volume measured, as well as the cfm numbers? It is a pain to go back 20 pages even 10 pages to get caught up on the improvements made. I do not think I have seen port measurement sizes as well as cfm measured very often. What is the final numbers on these heads without me searching the thread for them. Is what I am asking. Not knocking, just asking. Just read the next post of yours and read something about a customer on long island. Is this porting you do for your own engines, or is this a buisness that you charge customers for your porting services? One more question is , have you experimented with Gen3 and gen4 chevy Ls heads yet?

I usually just do heads for friends but I am starting to branch out. No gen 3 or 4 experience. Last time these were flowed about 320 cfm 240 cfm without a pipe and 248 cc intake port. If you read Chad's 380 thread I ran this head against Chad's cnc 205cc heads with velocity and port energy graphs. All the head specs are on the tech sheet posted. I needed a break from my 289 head nightmare and put one of these on the bench and tried the sonic on aluminum. Looks plenty thick still. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

S10LS2 wrote:Any chance you can update these ported head threads? Either on the first post or somewhere on the last post, that is within the last few weeks? Like what is the final port volume measured, as well as the cfm numbers? It is a pain to go back 20 pages even 10 pages to get caught up on the improvements made. I do not think I have seen port measurement sizes as well as cfm measured very often. What is the final numbers on these heads without me searching the thread for them. Is what I am asking. Not knocking, just asking. Just read the next post of yours and read something about a customer on long island. Is this porting you do for your own engines, or is this a buisness that you charge customers for your porting services? One more question is , have you experimented with Gen3 and gen4 chevy Ls heads yet?
0916172029c_HDR.jpg
Finished with 289 heads and hurricane nightmare so I need to finish these up. The more I look at them the more I want to epoxy the pinch out and cut them for 1/2" offset shaft rockers. Input welcome. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0930171814.jpg
Pushing the casting and very aggressive burrs are a tough mix. Looks like a bit of welding or epoxy will be used on these! Raise that roof to the limit!
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0930171818.jpg
Top view
631-816-4911
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Post by Amilcar »

Considering done this repair, will be enought thickness on the spring pocket? :(

By the way your doing this, seems it won´t use "mild" HFT cam.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Amilcar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am Considering done this repair, will be enought thickness on the spring pocket? :(

By the way your doing this, seems it won´t use "mild" HFT cam.
Looking at the casting there is a definite low spot looking at the top of the head where I broke through. Spring pocket. Is about .2" thick. These will get a fairly nasty solid roller when finally finished. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

For the spring pockets, I've done a good bit of research on this for a similar project (raising runners). Some folks just epoxy a hardened seat in and get at it. I was going to make up little risers out of aluminum with a healthy chamfer around the edge and then weld them around the periphery and cut new seats. If you want to weld in the spring pocket, the guides come out and you use carbon (graphite) gouging rod to fill the hole, weld, and then drill the carbon out when you're done. You may want to make the protrusion for the carbon rod slightly undersized since otherwise the weldment will shrink away after cooling and leave a sloppy fit for the guide in that area. Might not be a big deal, but if you're doing it all anyways...

Not sure if you know this trick, Carnut1, but just take some copper and push it up against that hole in the port, and then you can weld the hole shut on the top easy-peesy. The aluminum won't stick to copper and acts as a good heat sink to cool the puddle so you don't end up chasing a burn-through around.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling