8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by David Vizard »

gowest wrote:This is sounding like a dynamic flow bench !
No - you have only 300 guesses left.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

PackardV8 wrote:Interesting math; check me here, but an 8.1" rod and 1.74" of stroke = 9.84"; can't stay under a 9.025" OEM SBC block deck, so that's already .815" out of the deck before we consider the piston and rings?
EXACTLY RIGHT JACK BUT HOW WILL IT ALL WORK?????

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

Longer skirt on the piston, drop the rings down and the remaining .820" that pops up past the deck you'll shape to mirror the combustion chamber shape... ??

What are you making a diesel?
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

paulzig wrote:Longer skirt on the piston, drop the rings down and the remaining .820" that pops up past the deck you'll shape to mirror the combustion chamber shape... ??

What are you making a diesel?
NO & NO
DV
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I'm guessing not a conventional cylinder head? Or some sort of spacer between the block and head? Otherwise I don't see it being physically possible. I haven't done the math but I don't think you could physically offset the pins far enough to fit this all together.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

travis wrote:I'm guessing not a conventional cylinder head? Or some sort of spacer between the block and head? Otherwise I don't see it being physically possible. I haven't done the math but I don't think you could physically offset the pins far enough to fit this all together.
Part right and part wrong but some good deductions all the same.
DV
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

This is going to sound weird, but are you making a compressor of some sort? I've heard of people using Volkswagen engines and having them run off 2 cylinders and compress air with the other 2.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Wrist pin is offset to fit in to the deepest part of combustion chamber.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Using a conventional crank?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Sounds like some kind of spacer would be needed to move the crankshaft centerline down, unless the engine is destroked dramatically.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

cgarb wrote:This is going to sound weird, but are you making a compressor of some sort? I've heard of people using Volkswagen engines and having them run off 2 cylinders and compress air with the other 2.
That is a great idea -wish I had thought of that when I could not afford the outrageous cost of compressors in 1970's UK.
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

ptuomov wrote:Sounds like some kind of spacer would be needed to move the crankshaft centerline down, unless the engine is destroked dramatically.
stock 350 stroke and crank location
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

John Wallace wrote:Using a conventional crank?

:?:
stock cast 350 crank
DV
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

David Vizard wrote:
ptuomov wrote:Sounds like some kind of spacer would be needed to move the crankshaft centerline down, unless the engine is destroked dramatically.
stock 350 stroke and crank location DV
So is this a piston design with rings below the pin? The wrist pin would have to be inside the dome somehow and rings below the pin.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

ptuomov wrote:
David Vizard wrote:
stock 350 stroke and crank location DV
So is this a piston design with rings below the pin? The wrist pin would have to be inside the dome somehow and rings below the pin.
Well you and a couple of other posters are definetly moving in the right direction.

DV