8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Joe-71
Pro
Pro
Re: 8.1 inch rod in stock block/stroke 350 and -----

Post by Joe-71 »

2.500" spacers on block with 8 new tall sleeves. O ring block to spacers. Joe-71
Joe-71
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

David Vizard wrote:
ptuomov wrote:
David Vizard wrote: stock 350 stroke and crank location DV
So is this a piston design with rings below the pin? The wrist pin would have to be inside the dome somehow and rings below the pin.
Well you and a couple of other posters are definetly moving in the right direction.DV
I thought about doing the piston wrist pin bore with caps that are fastened with bolts. Like main caps. That would be heavy, though, but would allow no wrist pin bore openings into the combustion chamber. Then the rings could come high up like in a modern piston, right up to top of the bore.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Guys,

I had little idea the opening posts shot of a long rod was going to cause so much response and interest.

I am off 'down under' to do a seminar in Sydney tomorrow (Mon 25th Sept). I am excited about this one as due to the interest the last one in 2015 caused. I am getting a number of the chief engine development engineers from top teams attending.

Anyway due to this busy trip I won't have time to put up any posts so you will all have to fight among yourselves until after the 5th of Oct.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

We'll keep the octagon bloody until you get back, lol.
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

Move the crank down? :shock:
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

David Vizard wrote:I am getting a number of the chief engine development engineers from top teams attending.
Top teams?
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

sanfordandson wrote:Move the crank down? :shock:
Hmmm.. what could be the purpose in extending the crankshaft lower in the block geometry? Interesting thought.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

He has already said stock stroke and crank location in stock deck 350 SBC and no head gasket, has indicated an abnormal CR ratio but not wether that is high or low.
Maybe this is a cooky 2 stroke build with long closed end smaller diameter cylinder sleeves with ports for intake and exhaust,, lol.
Craig.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

2 piece piston to capture the pin.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

PackardV8 wrote:Interesting math; check me here, but an 8.1" rod and 1.74" of stroke = 9.84"; can't stay under a 9.025" OEM SBC block deck, so that's already .815" out of the deck before we consider the piston and rings?
The ring stack is irrelevant to the C/H.

He just has to fit the rings, lands, and half the pins into a -.815 C/H
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Counterbore the head, and build a piston with a 1.000 top land...... :P
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

F1 style piston with a short pin.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

kimosabi wrote:F1 style piston with a short pin.
F1 has that kind of negative compression height such that the wrist pin is out of the bore?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

ptuomov wrote:
F1 has that kind of negative compression height such that the wrist pin is out of the bore?
Not that much but the pin sits just below the deck. I'm sensing offset pin and offset grind on the crank here too as well as a smaller pin. That pin has to be installed somehow either way.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

kimosabi wrote:
ptuomov wrote:
Not that much but the pin sits just below the deck. I'm sensing offset pin and offset grind on the crank here too as well as a smaller pin. That pin has to be installed somehow either way.
He just said stock stroke, stock crank location. There's no way to get the pin below the deck, I believe. The next logical question is how to get the pin inside the dome. I wouldn't want to expose the pin and the locks to the combustion chamber, not even with buttons on holes. I think multi-piece piston with some sort of bolted-on cap or caps is the most likely plan for these rods. Since the main reason that I see for doing all that is to reduce the piston weight for large dome piston (like in a hemi chamber), I don't see it really working out in net given the weight and complexity of a multi-piece piston.
Put Search Keywords Here