Mitsubishi mini truck V8 swap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Mitsubishi mini truck V8 swap

Post by travis »

There is a little Mitsubishi truck down the street for sale cheap, so that got wheels turning...

Does anyone have any experience with doing a V8 swap in one of these? I have been unsuccessful locating dedicated swap mounts, headers, etc. How strong are the rear ends, frames, suspension, etc?

I have a 350 sbc and a 351w...I'm guessing the 350 might fit a little easier?

Any info or thoughts appreciated. I've always wanted a V8 mini truck as the few I have experienced are a riot to drive even with a mild 350
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Mitsubishi mini truck V8 swap

Post by Carnut1 »

I have read Ford ranger is cake for a sbf install. No info on Mitsu.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

If you cant buy a do it yourself erector set you just need a welder, a plasma torch, and a grinder o yea Google and you tube are good tools too
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

LS Chevy works out for any swap :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

If I had to choose between a sbf or a sbc for this kind of a swap, I'd go sbc ten times over just because of the oil filter mount and fuel pump locations.
Unless you are in the UK or Down Under, then Ford.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

I owned an 83 Dodge D50 which was just a Mitsubishi with different badges on it and thought about a swap. As far as I know you'll be doing it all yourself.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

The D50 short block was a desirable upgrade to the Eclipse/Galant turbo fours, which indicated a useful level of parts interchange. There's a strong aftermarket for those engines, and several web forums. Perhaps a turbo four might be an easier upgrade than a V8 swap.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

If the 4G63 bolts up to it, there's no reason to run a V8 except for sheer determination.

I'm told that in some places (Kentucky) you can still buy box-type S10s for under $3000. Way under $3000. Like closer to $300. That blows my mind because up here those are collector vehicles and anybody who has one is some kind of hotrodder who wouldn't sell it for love or money, but I've friends who claim it's true and thay haven't lied to me before. One of them allegedly has built an S10 with a 5.3 and nitrous for under $2000 all-in.

Anyway, it you must have a V8 then an 80s S10 probably a better bet. It's better to drive a thousand miles to get the correct starting point than to spend a thousand hours beating your head against the wall trying to make the wrong thing work.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

A guy I know had one, he either said they make kits or that people put sbc in them all the time. Prob info online in some random forum if so.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

So apparently Mitsubishi trucks were never designed for a 6'4" driver lol

I'll keep looking for another project
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

Have you actually sat in it? Does it have the original seat?

My Dad was 6'3 and had no complaints about his D-50.
travis
Guru
Guru
Re:

Post by travis »

dwilliams wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm Have you actually sat in it? Does it have the original seat?

My Dad was 6'3 and had no complaints about his D-50.
Yes, I did. I'm not as flexible as I used to be
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

travis wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:47 pm So apparently Mitsubishi trucks were never designed for a 6'4" driver lol

I'll keep looking for another project
I never had trouble with head room but I had to modify the gas pedal so that I could drive it with snow boots
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I've never sat comfortably, much less driven comfortably in a compact pickup. Your opinions and results may differ.

Similar and only slightly OT, but the 1937 -'39 Studebaker Coupe Express is one of my all-time favorite small truck designs. I'd have owned one fifty years ago, but they're just too small inside.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

A friend of mine has a '46 Ford pickup (nowhere near that nice though) that has the same issue. He is like 5'6" and has no trouble driving it. I can barely depress the clutch because my knees are up in the steering wheel. His has a K-code 271hp 289 and toploader 4 speed with some really low gears in the factory rear end...it's a fun ride