Ported Dart pro 1 pre platinum

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Re: Ported Dart pro 1 pre platinum

Post by BILL-C »

The valve spring pocket area can be very prone to cracking when an aggresive valve train is used. Several times i have had heads come back with smoking issues from cracks in spring pockets caused by me cutting the roof too thin. Don't be tempted to use epoxy to fix that hole. I am very sure that glue will crack and leak oil .Tig weld the top of the runner at least .125 thick from rocker stud to spring pocket, then go down inside of port and build up under valve spring pocket . Those guide "fins" that are cast into so many heads are there to provide support under spring pocket and lose the least flow.
Carlquist Competition Engines
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

This isn't meant to be a criticism of the work or efforts that are being put into these heads....... But it would seem like you'd have to be working for free for a job like this to be even remotely considered "cost effective".

How many hours into the porting alone, and now there needs to be welding too?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Funny, too many hours r & d, too many hours flow and Pitot testing, too many hours porting and welding. All true.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

So...... After you've got your R&D all done, and know what it is you'll be copying....... How much time will you have into just the porting for the remaining 7 cyls?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

More than I care to add up! Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Have you considered digitizing and CNC for the remaining cylinders?
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

PRH wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:52 pm So...... After you've got your R&D all done, and know what it is you'll be copying....... How much time will you have into just the porting for the remaining 7 cyls?
R&D? You dont even know how they run? Or are you speaking of R&D flowing? I wouldn't digitize a port that you dont know the capability of myself.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

R & D in reference to airspeed in the port and flows. Digitizing ports will be in my future at some point. With DV's program I have a very good idea what these heads will make. I am looking forward to finishing these and getting some dyno results. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

We just finished a program for those heads. The end ports are approx .030 out of location and had to shorten up bore spacing so that ports would clean up better.
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

we just cnc ported a pair of alloy Dart pro1 215 heads. I have never seen so much core shift in a head. One intake did not clean up on one whole side wall all the way from the opening to the bowl past the center bolt hole. The 1206 gasket overhangs the port by .030" and the wall between the ports at the opening is thin. Boy would that port be big if you wanted to get a clean up everywhere.
Most times the dart castings are good.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Bill C and smeg........ for comparison, what are the finished runner volumes and flow numbers for your CNC programs for these heads?
And, are your programs based on the pre-Platinum version or the Platinum version(or does it even matter)?
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Platinum and pre-platinum programs are slightly different. There is a cool little intake guide fin on the platinum that the pre-platinum doesn't have. Liberty sells an import head that is an exact copy of the platinum head and uses the same program. It even has the same bad core shift! My intake ports are both in the high 220's cc volume and peak flow low 300's with 2.055 intake valve @ .750 and 309 with 2.08 valve. exh peaks 250 with 1.600 valve. The flow numbers level out, but don't drop. Because we are taking out material ONLY where it needs to be removed, there are quite a few spots that cutter doesn't touch. Sanding roll work is required for cosmetics.I think there is a little more potential in the platinum version that i haven't figured out yet. I'm very hesitant to turn it into a bigger port head and screw it up for the mid size engines that it was intended for.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Carnut1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 am R & D in reference to airspeed in the port and flows. Digitizing ports will be in my future at some point. With DV's program I have a very good idea what these heads will make. I am looking forward to finishing these and getting some dyno results. Thanks, Charlie
Why don't you throw them on an engine, vs using a calculator to see what kind of power they can make. Find out what these airspeeds mean. It can look good on a bench but be a turd at the track of on the street.

I'm not bashing you. I'm just saying why don't you back up your data with proof. I use my own formulas for different requirements.

I have had engines want faster heads and slower heads. How can you quantify an imaginary engine builds required airspeed?
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

PRH wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 pm Bill C and smeg........ for comparison, what are the finished runner volumes and flow numbers for your CNC programs for these heads?
And, are your programs based on the pre-Platinum version or the Platinum version(or does it even matter)?
I don't usually post flow numbers on forums, we don't race flow benches do we? My import ports are a bit larger than Bill's and flow a bit more and they work really well, They are an exact copy of the pro1 platinum but the new castings have the push rod pinch narrowed .030 a side so the pinch is a little smaller now @ 2.35 sq in.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

IMG_1937_2.jpg
Recent R&D ( Race em and Destroy em) from a set of my heads. Way before flowbench. N.A. street stuff. Working on it M.T. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911