Triming two piece rear main seal

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Triming two piece rear main seal

Post by BOOT »

How does one trim the seal w/o damaging it? I've read more than once of people having to trim them slightly and this one leaked so I'm gonna give it a shot. One I have looks metal core so can't just cut it with a razor.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
superpursuit
Pro
Pro
Re: Triming two piece rear main seal

Post by superpursuit »

Why do you want to trim it? Is it the wrong seal for the application and you are trying to adapt it to suit? Or has the block been line bored? These are probably the only time that you would consider trimming the seal. If it is the correct seal for the application and the block has not been substantially altered to affect the seal area then you would not trim the seal.

To answer your question the normal process to trim a 2 piece Rear Main Seal would be to carefully trim opposite ends of the seal on a linisher. You do the opposite ends so that when the seal is installed the trimmed end will butt against the opposing untrimmed end of the other part of the seal.

If you have the correct seal for the application then trimming it will not help.There is some thing else wrong. I hope this helps.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

superpursuit wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:57 pm Why do you want to trim it? Is it the wrong seal for the application and you are trying to adapt it to suit? Or has the block been line bored? These are probably the only time that you would consider trimming the seal. If it is the correct seal for the application and the block has not been substantially altered to affect the seal area then you would not trim the seal.

To answer your question the normal process to trim a 2 piece Rear Main Seal would be to carefully trim opposite ends of the seal on a linisher. You do the opposite ends so that when the seal is installed the trimmed end will butt against the opposing untrimmed end of the other part of the seal.

If you have the correct seal for the application then trimming it will not help.There is some thing else wrong. I hope this helps.

What is a linisher? I do it with a belt sander and go very VERY slow.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

statsystems wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pmWhat is a linisher? I do it with a belt sander and go very VERY slow.

No clue either, what grit belt or does it matter?

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

statsystems wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pm What is a linisher? I do it with a belt sander and go very VERY slow.
A belt sander/ belt polisher.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 pm
statsystems wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pm What is a linisher? I do it with a belt sander and go very VERY slow.
A belt sander/ belt polisher.

Learn something new every day. Never hear of a lanisher.
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

statsystems wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pm
superpursuit wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:57 pm Why do you want to trim it? Is it the wrong seal for the application and you are trying to adapt it to suit? Or has the block been line bored? These are probably the only time that you would consider trimming the seal. If it is the correct seal for the application and the block has not been substantially altered to affect the seal area then you would not trim the seal.

What is a linisher? I do it with a belt sander and go very VERY slow.
A linisher is a high speed belt sander. In this case it is an attachment you put onto a bench grinder.
Sodbuster

Post by Sodbuster »

I just went thru the same problem. I used a piece of flat glass with a sheet of emory cloth taped to it. By holding the ends of the seal flat against the emory cloth and then working it back and forth, I was able to make the seal fit my application. It didn't take but just a few minutes. Hope this helps. Have a Great Day !!!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Belt sander worked great and quick, thx for the info!

hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

A belt sander and linisher are the same thing ,just remember to work from the i/d of the composition seal to the outside that way any fluff can be trimmed without marring the working part of the seal.

Cheers.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

hoodeng wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:37 am A belt sander and linisher are the same thing ,just remember to work from the i/d of the composition seal to the outside that way any fluff can be trimmed without marring the working part of the seal.

Cheers.
I use a power ring filer with an indicator.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

Trimming the 2 piece seal fel pro sells for Olds is pretty standard, as it is actually a Ford 460 seal and almost fits right. The earlier Olds used a rope seal. Just FYI
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Fireonthemountain wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm Trimming the 2 piece seal fel pro sells for Olds is pretty standard, as it is actually a Ford 460 seal and almost fits right. The earlier Olds used a rope seal. Just FYI
So did the early SBC blocks. I want to say '57 and earlier blocks? Might be '58, I forget??

pdq67
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:10 pm
Fireonthemountain wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm Trimming the 2 piece seal fel pro sells for Olds is pretty standard, as it is actually a Ford 460 seal and almost fits right. The earlier Olds used a rope seal. Just FYI
So did the early SBC blocks. I want to say '57 and earlier blocks? Might be '58, I forget??

pdq67
The later SBO 330-403 used the Ford Y block seal, if I remember right. Not sure about even earlier Olds.