Brodix iron blocks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Brodix iron blocks

Post by BILL-C »

Has anyone used the new iron big and small block chevy blocks by Brodix? Any opinions?
Carlquist Competition Engines
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Brodix iron blocks

Post by cgarb »

Are they their own blocks? They look very similar the Blueprint blocks to me.
Sodbuster

Post by Sodbuster »

I was interested in the SBC until I talked to my machinist. His advise was "Run Away" there are lots of problems. He is big fan of Brodix cylinder heads, but not the blocks.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

What kind of problems?
Sodbuster

Post by Sodbuster »

I can't remember exactly, but is had to do with the way the main journals were cast and machined. He felt the they were not strong in this area. He also said if you notice, the blocks come full machined but require line honing. This went back to the problems in the main area.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Dart blocks need to be honed, decked, and half the time need to have line hone tuned up.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

BILL-C wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:15 am Dart blocks need to be honed, decked, and half the time need to have line hone tuned up.
Isn't that weird on a block that's been CNC machined?
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

DaveMcLain wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 am
BILL-C wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:15 am Dart blocks need to be honed, decked, and half the time need to have line hone tuned up.
Why do you think that? How would Dart know what size to hit on deck ht and finish honed bore size? Their main housing bores are typically somewheres in spec, but not exactly where i want it all the time. It's OUR job as the engine builders to fine tune these dimensions to our needs. DART blocks are very good, and i use, machine, and sell them often with very few problems. I expect to need to tune up every part that i touch.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

BILL-C wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 am
DaveMcLain wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 am
Why do you think that? How would Dart know what size to hit on deck ht and finish honed bore size? Their main housing bores are typically somewheres in spec, but not exactly where i want it all the time. It's OUR job as the engine builders to fine tune these dimensions to our needs. DART blocks are very good, and i use, machine, and sell them often with very few problems. I expect to need to tune up every part that i touch.
Why did I think that? Because of your comment on how half of them need to be tuned up etc. I've only used a few Dart blocks and on one I can think of while I did have to use a .001 under main set I think that was mostly because of the crank sizing. I didn't know they varied all that much. I had one once too that had lifter bores that were kind of big but I think that was done by a previous builder it also went from a 1X bearing to a 1- and again I think that was mostly just the crank sizing. Overall I think they are fine. My dad doesn't like how they are bored he thinks that they stop too short and it would be nicer to hone if they didn't do that.
ratsnotmice

Post by ratsnotmice »

Need to make sure block is siamesed before boring, look into the water jacket!
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

If you are going to build a "true" race engine why would you not want to cut the deck to exactly what you want or line hone to the housing bore you wanted?
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Dart can send a finished block for an additional charge
mustangcobra438

Post by mustangcobra438 »

The brodix "middle man" iron blocks are not worth the headache. Wont even come close to sonic checking in the ball park of what they claim and the oiling system.. well good luck.