Ford 6.2 As A Performance Engine?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Ford 6.2 As A Performance Engine?

Post by DaveMcLain »

Today I was working on a set of heads brought in by a local Ford dealer off of a 6.2 liter V8. They look really nice and I was curious if this engine has seen much in the way of performance development.

I was at the Big Ford Bash about 10 years ago when Don Bowles had an engine which I think was a 7 liter based off of this design but I can't say that I've seen much since.

Is the rest of the engine really bulky?
peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford 6.2 As A Performance Engine?

Post by peejay »

I saw one for the first time yesterday. It's like a Mod motor except bigger everywhere, and the plugs are down next to the exhaust manifold, presumably so that when it blows a plug out it doesn't wreck a coil #-o

To be honest the regular Mod motor probably has a lot more potential just because there are DOHC heads that fit, and there's a larger aftermarket for them.
1mach

Post by 1mach »

I hope i'm on the right track , imagine a Ford 6.2Lt V8 block ( whats the deck height ? ) with a bore‎ = ‎4.015 inches (101.98 mm) and sneak in a crankshaft out of a 5.4Lt Triton Modular V8 stroke of 4.17 inches , that is some serious cubic inches. AND use the ford Boss 260 5.4 4V Modular V8 heads we have here in Australia could be some serious horsepower potential also. Sorry just thinking out loud did not contribute anything constructive to the topic.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

I agree I would really love to see parts for the new cammer developed, at the wrecking yard cores are not cheap $2000.00.Link to Roush 7.54l sohc Baja engine 850hp 8500rpm https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... DeaJe4Hb6Q. Rumor is a 7l dohc will be in the new Raptor. yee-ha! http://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-15 ... -v8-motor/.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Different bore pitch, nothing else fits.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

DaveMcLain wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 pm Today I was working on a set of heads brought in by a local Ford dealer off of a 6.2 liter V8. They look really nice and I was curious if this engine has seen much in the way of performance development.

I was at the Big Ford Bash about 10 years ago when Don Bowles had an engine which I think was a 7 liter based off of this design but I can't say that I've seen much since.

Dave, if you are talking about the 6.2L "Raptor" gasoline engine; 2017 will be its last production year.

It is a single overhead cam, two valve, hemi, NA engine with a 4" bore, two spark plugs per cylinder and variable cam timing.
Torquey and very powerful.

It is to be discontinued because the bean counters at Ford believe that those interested in getting that engine in a Super Duty truck will simply go ahead and buy the diesel.
In my opinion, those customers will now stray away from Ford and buy the GM or Dodge truck with that size gasoline NA engine package of that size.
Bean counters have little clue about reality.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Oddly enough, every Raptor that I've seen had the 5.4. The 6.2 that I saw was in a Super Duty.

Even with all of the awesome modern pollution controls, Diesels are environmentally heinous. Interesting that every newer Isuzu medium-duty truck that I've seen has had a Chevy 6.0 gasoline engine in it. Haven't seen one of those Isuzu Diesel sixes for a long long time.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:04 pm
DaveMcLain wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 pm Today I was working on a set of heads brought in by a local Ford dealer off of a 6.2 liter V8. They look really nice and I was curious if this engine has seen much in the way of performance development.

Dave, if you are talking about the 6.2L "Raptor" gasoline engine; 2017 will be its last production year.

It is a single overhead cam, two valve, hemi, NA engine with a 4" bore, two spark plugs per cylinder and variable cam timing.

It is to be discontinued because the bean counters at Ford believe that those interested in getting that engine in a Super Duty truck will simply go ahead and buy the diesel.
In my opinion, those customers will now stray away from Ford and buy the GM or Dodge truck with that size gasoline NA engine package of that size.
That's the engine I'm talking about. This one had broken a valve spring so the Ford dealer had me go through the heads and put on a new set of springs. They looked really nice and it seems like they could be used to make an impressive performance engine. I didn't see the rest of the engine but by just looking at the heads the bore spacing must be a lot longer than the Mod engines.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

DaveMcLain wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 am

That's the engine I'm talking about. This one had broken a valve spring so the Ford dealer had me go through the heads and put on a new set of springs. They looked really nice and it seems like they could be used to make an impressive performance engine. I didn't see the rest of the engine but by just looking at the heads the bore spacing must be a lot longer than the Mod engines.
I am pretty sure the bore spacing is very near what the older FE Ford engines were.
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

You read the link? About the 7.0L? Sounds more related to the 6.2 than you acknowledge here...
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

iadr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:51 pm

You read the link? About the 7.0L? Sounds more related to the 6.2 than you acknowledge here...
Those two engines are not even close to being near the same design.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Walter,
The 6.2L gas engine is still in the 2018 Super Duty ordering guide. What is missing is the V10 gas engine.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376