2017 Engine Masters ???

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Gregory

Re: 2017 Engine Masters ???

Post by Gregory »

GARY C wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:48 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:30 am This contest called the Engine Masters Challenge is simply the best avenue for viewing the builds and seeing the ultimate traditional type engines, ANYWHERE.
Along with the camaraderie which happens and continues forward from there is just an awesome experience.

Unfortunately, the rumor was going around in the later days of this year's contest that if it is to continue, it will need a different coordinator to take control of running it.
Hot Rod Magazine was bought by another entity who doesn't envision this contest to be in their future.

I, for one, certainly hope there is some entity out there who can see the advantage of this contest and the popularity it has within all the people interested in learning about "top of the line" engine building and some "out of the box" thinking which is destined to become reality in making advancements toward more horsepower in everyday type engines.
Isn't that why this thread was started? http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=50602
That's why we started a new contest to be by engine builders for engine builders and not ruled by vendors/sponsors and
some corporate dictates.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com

Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CGT wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm Resized_20171005_133655.jpg
1. Small Block Chevrolet based
2. Mopar "RB" engine based
3. 302 Ford based stroker
4. 351W based stroker
5. Mopar small block "LA" engine
6. Pontiac based
7. Early Chrysler 354 gen 1 Hemi based stroker
8- I think. Small block Mopar "LA" stroker

That is where my memory stops being near clear. :-k
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

We at team Creason want to thank all those at the EMC; we all had a very nice week, and send a special thanks to our new friends we met from Sweden, the Lindstrom Racing Engines team. ( LRE )

We all had a great time at dinner Thursday evening with the LRE team. Great bunch of guys.

And for those that have competed at the EMC, think how much time and effort it takes when you live here, and how much more effort it takes for someone from Sweden to do it. They are all certainly an above average group !

Pic of Creason team and LRE team at Ruby Tuesdays Thursday evening.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A769247

Randy
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Congrats!

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

We had a good time hanging out with the Sweede's too. Brought them along for the tour of UNOH. I think we asked them about the status of their engine delivery a half dozen times. Was really rooting for them to have a good showing and the opportunity to run. Hats off to them for their effort!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

randy331 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 am We at team Creason want to thank all those at the EMC; we all had a very nice week, and send a special thanks to our new friends we met from Sweden, the Lindstrom Racing Engines team. ( LRE )

We all had a great time at dinner Thursday evening with the LRE team. Great bunch of guys.

And for those that have competed at the EMC, think how much time and effort it takes when you live here, and how much more effort it takes for someone from Sweden to do it. They are all certainly an above average group !

Randy
Randy, you've taken some beatings on this site about your thoughts and methods regarding engine and cylinder head development. I think you (and your teams) methodology and tech is very much vindicated with this impressive engine masters performance. Would you be willing to share what went into this build (for those of us with an open mind)?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:45 pm
randy331 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 am We at team Creason want to thank all those at the EMC; we all had a very nice week, and send a special thanks to our new friends we met from Sweden, the Lindstrom Racing Engines team. ( LRE )

Randy
Randy, you've taken some beatings on this site about your thoughts and methods regarding engine and cylinder head development. I think you (and your teams) methodology and tech is very much vindicated with this impressive engine masters performance. Would you be willing to share what went into this build (for those of us with an open mind)?
I have been a big part of that and I want to publicly apologize for my outspokenness, Rick, Randy, CGT, and their whole group worked their butts off for this win and deserve every bit of it, I don't want to be the cause of you guys not sharing on ST, you have far more helpful info for the readers then I probably ever will have so I will try to keep my trap shut, if I get out of line please tell me to STFU!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

I wrote this on an AMC Forum and wanted to share it hear with SpeedTalk.

Jim’s Tooling did fairly well with the AMC engine still running and a peak of 489.7 HP in the “Traditional Muscle Class".
This, using his design on the Edelbrock Victor EFI intake manifold converted to standard 4bbl, His patent pending Grace Exhaust Manifolds using 1 5/8” primary header tubes connected to his implementation of the Mickey Thompson staggered outlet and collector. He used OEM cast iron production cylinder heads (maybe the only one in his class?), 11.0:1 compression Weisco pistons and Sig Erson .600” flat tappet cam. RPM range per rules was 3300 to 7000 with stats used from 3500 to 6800 RPM.
He should be congratulated for sticking to his concept of hi-velocity intake manifold (I purchased two of them from Jim), and his somewhat off-beat exhaust system; both which were HIGHLY ridiculed upon at theamcforum.com. Due to some issues prior to the competition, he was put into a corner and used cylinder heads which only produced 256 CFM peak at the required .600” valve lift. Most of you may know that would be considered a marginal performing street head; at least in my opinion. I believe the carb was a 4150 series flowing around 850 CFM?
Using another set of production cylinder heads with more extensive work (but still steet-able, around 275 CFM), possibly a revised camshaft and a little more tuning, this could easily be a 525 HP 366 AMC. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn’t count but I’m still impressed with his 489.7 HP @ 6,400 / 463.3 @ 5,000 (still making 479.9 HP @ 6,800).
I don’t think any of the past EMC AMC competitors (or even magazine builds?) have come close to these figures.
I have spoken to Jim and he learned a lot and expect him to be back next year with many improvements.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:45 pm Randy, you've taken some beatings on this site about your thoughts and methods regarding engine and cylinder head development. I think you (and your teams) methodology and tech is very much vindicated with this impressive engine masters performance. Would you be willing to share what went into this build (for those of us with an open mind)?
We could, but it may be a bit. Fell behind on a few things during this, and it looks like Monday I will be trying to become a responsible adult again.
No more staying at home working on heads and running to dyno shop for testing and machine work all the time. Hanging out in Lima in the Motel parking lot talkin engines and beer flowZ every night.
And,.. I'm gonna miss the late nights at Joe's pissing his neighbors off. :D Chad got to know one pretty good. :lol:

Chad was our diplomatic spokes person when someone walked in at 10 at night saying,... I been listening to this shit since 8 this morning and it's still going on at 10 PM !!! I It better end !! Chad ok,... yea we're done. While we're all thinkin yea,....but that 8 am tomorrow thing ain't lookin good for you. :mrgreen:

Randy
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Every good group has a dedicated liaison. It's usually me, believe it or not :lol:
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

...but that 8 am tomorrow thing ain't lookin good for you. :mrgreen:

Randy
Epic quote 😁

Congrats on a well deserved win!
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
TheSwed

Post by TheSwed »

Randy
Hi Marcus here. I would just like to say that we had an EPIC!! time at engine masters. And especially thanks to team Creason. What a great bunch of pepole, I hope didn`t kill Ricks mod for bbq forever after my tour in maybe not the best area of Lima :wink:
And all you others
Adney Brown,Gene Adams/Smithberg, Jon Kaase, and all the others that I certainly forgotten you guys rock.
I think Johan will come on here and say the same.
This has been a dream come true.

Thanks from Marcus Team LRE.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Good job, Marcus!

Can you tell me more about your engine?

John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

TheSwed wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 am Hi Marcus here. I would just like to say that we had an EPIC!! time at engine masters. And especially thanks to team Creason. What a great bunch of pepole, I hope didn`t kill Ricks mod for bbq forever after my tour in maybe not the best area of Lima :wink:
And all you others
Adney Brown,Gene Adams/Smithberg, Jon Kaase, and all the others that I certainly forgotten you guys rock.
I think Johan will come on here and say the same.
This has been a dream come true.

Thanks from Marcus Team LRE.
That was Randy, not me, that you took on the scenic bbq tour of Lima. lol

We had a great time there at EMC and visiting with the LRE team. Lot's of great people and interesting engines. Jon Kaase stands out as an incredibly smart man yet so humble. Nice induction system from Nick Smithberg. My hats off to Adger and RJ for a great job too.

Thanks to all,
Rick
moparjohan

Post by moparjohan »

Randy
SMITHBERGRACING wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:37 pm We had a good time hanging out with the Sweede's too. Brought them along for the tour of UNOH. I think we asked them about the status of their engine delivery a half dozen times. Was really rooting for them to have a good showing and the opportunity to run. Hats off to them for their effort!
We at Team LRE would like to thank you all at Engine Masters Challlenge, students, staff & participants.
It's truly been an honor meeting, competing and rubbing shoulders with you, and an experience far beyond our expectations!

A special thanks to Team Creason who not only built a killer engine but also bought us dinner at Thursday night :D
I really hope that we will see you all again soon: Adney Brown, Gene Adams/Smithberg Team, Creason Team and all of you that was selfless offering your trucks to us :wink:

Thanks
Johan Lindstrom/ LRE (Lindstrom Racing Engineering)