Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Mercedes Benz AMG 63 main caps and sump

Post by Circlotron »

Just had a look at this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_LFckaT7g
showing the building of the above motor. At the 5 minute mark it shows a huge one-piece casting that is both the main bearing caps and the sump. It is really a piece of work. Now the question is, if this type of construction really adds to the rigidity of the lower block, why doesn't any aftermarket block manufacturer make an American V8 with this feature added on? If it is not really necessary then why would Mercedes Benz use it?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Mercedes Benz AMG 63 main caps and sump

Post by mag2555 »

If you want to see a piece of industrial steel casting work go look at steam loco frames ( like from Baldwin ) that where in some cases we'll over 50 feet long and also included the cylinder and valve Bore's
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

My Porsche V8 designed in the 1970's has a bedplate design. It's a great design especially if you use dry sump and pull a vacuum in the crankcase. Bay to bay breathing can be challenging with wet sumo and without vacuum, the design wants to communicate the piston pumping pulses thru the heads up the head oil drains.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Sure the vaunted hah! M Benz Technology with torque to yield Torx cap screws every where (fully threaded shanks) ,a few years ago I quoted a couple great and wealthy customers in Central Florida prices to replace head bolts ( major failure item on M156 engines ) and r and r that engine to reseal that genius bedplate ( major oil leaker) more genius watch them install MB silicone by computer and no channel for the sealer in either block or bedplate.Hah At any rate afterquoting both of them 10 k they had their corporate lawyers contact MB and of course warranty was extended.
Also son in law works for BMW and he says they are going crazy replacing main bearings , and also valve stem seals on late model V-8s 48 labor hours customer paid . See link at Benz World pretty funny
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204 ... bolts.html

Maybe we should all buy Baldwin Locomotives !

Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Just one more example of designing for ease of production and first owner durability without any thought of rebuilding.

Speaking of rebuilding German engines, I have a relative who owns several luxury car dealerships. When I've asked him to watch for a good example of a particular model coming through as a trade-in, he says, "if you can't afford to buy one new, you sure-as-shit can't afford to own one after the warranty."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

http://championspeedshop.com/ used to build one piece main caps and frame for the Small Block Chevy. I think it was a cast iron piece.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Circlotron wrote:Just had a look at this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_LFckaT7g
showing the building of the above motor. At the 5 minute mark it shows a huge one-piece casting that is both the main bearing caps and the sump. It is really a piece of work. Now the question is, if this type of construction really adds to the rigidity of the lower block, why doesn't any aftermarket block manufacturer make an American V8 with this feature added on? If it is not really necessary then why would Mercedes Benz use it?

EVERYBODY is doing it this way now. My '02 Volvo does it. A '95 Cadillac Northstar does it. Porsche 944s and 928s do it. More Nissans than I could care to count do it. Dodge Neons do it.

It's usually called something like a bedplate or sometimes lower block half.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

exhaustgases wrote:Its pretty difficult to see the split for the big ends, must be fractured. And back wards german stuff all the arrows on the rod caps point to the rear?
Are they arrows or are they diagrams of a crankshaft with a flywheel on the end?

I remember some German engines being stamped like that... looked like an arrow if you weren't paying attention, but it was a crank with a flywheel on the end.
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

Ford 2.7 Eco Boost has yet another concept that seems pretty radical the first time you see it:

roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

iadr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm Ford 2.7 Eco Boost has yet another concept that seems pretty radical the first time you see it:

Nice picture, I didn't know that. Thanks iadr.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Kind of the opposite of a y-block while also being the mother of all structural oil pans, yeah?

They're putting this engine in cars now, too. The new Fusion's getting it.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

no wonder they lost the war.ive seen many bedplates leak.not an easy fix.no money in it.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

It's a cost saving feature.