Power valve vacuum side halfways wet....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Power valve vacuum side halfways wet....

Post by sc2dave »

Whenever I disassemble my Holley, I notice that the vacuum side of the power valve metering block gasket is wet. Is this normal? If it isn't new gasket or double up on them? They are the blue silicone reusable ones.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Power valve vacuum side halfways wet....

Post by mag2555 »

The Blue ones are reusable, but so are the stock ones if you lay a film of wheel bearing grease or silicone grease on them.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Shouldn't be fuel on that side.

Bad PV, bad PV gasket, or warped body allowing cross channeling.
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In regards to the fuel seen on that side, if your using a power valve plug many times they act as being too deep and bottom out on the center section of the Carb body and cocking the metering plate.
Look for signs of contact by the plug on the center section and correct for the excess thickness of the Carb body with a 3 second grinding session!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

That is probably just from the gasoline vapor that is in the intake when the engine is running. After all that cavity behind the power valve is connected directly to the intake. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the carburetor.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

make sure the PV vacuum passage holes in the main body, gasket and base plate all line up. I never cared for holleys anti backfire valve in race engine base plate
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

DaveMcLain wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am That is probably just from the gasoline vapor that is in the intake when the engine is running. After all that cavity behind the power valve is connected directly to the intake. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the carburetor.
How would vapor get in there if there's nothing sucking it up into that space, especially through a tiny hole, and it leaves a Horizontal wet line???
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 am In regards to the fuel seen on that side, if your using a power valve plug many times they act as being too deep and bottom out on the center section of the Carb body and cocking the metering plate.
Look for signs of contact by the plug on the center section and correct for the excess thickness of the Carb body with a 3 second grinding session!
No plug ,but I do use a plastic p/v gasket. Would that do it? I do get 15"HG at idle.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

sc2dave wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm
DaveMcLain wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am That is probably just from the gasoline vapor that is in the intake when the engine is running. After all that cavity behind the power valve is connected directly to the intake. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the carburetor.
How would vapor get in there if there's nothing sucking it up into that space, especially through a tiny hole, and it leaves a Horizontal wet line???
When the engine is running and you open and close the throttle the pressure in the intake manifold as well as the pressure in that chamber behind the power valve changes. That's how liquid fuel can be drawn into that area. How would it leave a liquid line if the vacuum hole to the intake was actually open would be a better question.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

DaveMcLain wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 am
sc2dave wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm
When the engine is running and you open and close the throttle the pressure in the intake manifold as well as the pressure in that chamber behind the power valve changes. That's how liquid fuel can be drawn into that area. How would it leave a liquid line if the vacuum hole to the intake was actually open would be a better question.
I also have the p/v blowout obstruction there also,so less chance of it getting in there.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I've seen a number of under-torqued PVs. Spec. is 40-50 in-lbs.
(Love these old 'similar topic' links.. :oops:)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I once had an issue with pv gaskets being too thick and just letting the m-block leak. So now I always clearance the mainbody cavity bolt boss a little.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!