Rod Bolt Strength / Requirements

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BBO Omega

Rod Bolt Strength / Requirements

Post by BBO Omega »

I see articles that discuss the need to upgrade Rod Bolts due to the increased HP of a new engine combination [quite often due to forced induction in LS applications]. If the increase in HP occurs at a relatively similar RPM, why the need for the upgrade? Other than RPM, Rod, and Piston weight, what else dictates a need for a stronger Rod Bolt?
73 Omega, 468 BBO, 4.185 ICON Pistons,RR/Wenzler Heads with HS 1.7 rockers and PAC 1220X Springs,J&S 5-main Halo with Billet Caps, .590I .580E 242I 256E HR Cam, 1000hp Carb,2" x 3 1/2" headers,Coan 2900rpm Conv.,TH400,3.73 12 bolt,11.32/118
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Rod Bolt Strength / Requirements

Post by pamotorman »

any time I bought Carrillo rods they asked me the HP per cylinder I was expecting.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

BBO Omega wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 pm I see articles that discuss the need to upgrade Rod Bolts due to the increased HP of a new engine combination [quite often due to forced induction in LS applications]. If the increase in HP occurs at a relatively similar RPM, why the need for the upgrade? Other than RPM, Rod, and Piston weight, what else dictates a need for a stronger Rod Bolt?
The loading on a conrod is determined by several parameters: stroke, rod length, rpm, and piston mass; each contributing differently.

Assuming a change in each of the above parameters of 10%, listed below is the change in force seen by the bearing.

+10% stroke = +13.4%
+10% rod len = -3.1%
+10% rpm = +21%
+10% piston mass = +10%
Obviously, rpm and stroke will have the greatest impact on resulting forces.

Changing all the above at one time will increase force by +46%.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

HP doesn't have any affect on rod bolts.

Common sense?
Maybe not common.
BBO Omega wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 pm , what else dictates a need for a stronger Rod Bolt?

Everyone knows that the more money you throw at it makes it better.
You get what you pay for.

Not.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

BBO Omega wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 pm Other than RPM, Rod, and Piston weight, what else dictates a need for a stronger Rod Bolt?
One often overlooked factor is throttle opening. At WOT, compression opposes inertia approaching TDC every other stroke, but not on decel. Driving cycle, as opposed to just RPM, is therefore a factor.
(Inline six cylinder racing Jaguars in the fifties were renown for blowing up on lift-off at the end of the straight...)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

even under load a failure would likly occur during exhausting when the cylinder pressure at TDC can be below atmospheric so can be slightly additive if there is no pan vac
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

digger wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 pm even under load a failure would likly occur during exhausting when the cylinder pressure at TDC can be below atmospheric so can be slightly additive if there is no pan vac
Right, but with closed throttle there are twice as many fatigue failure-inducing high tensile cycles and the previous compression ones are now 25" or more of vacuum.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

David Redszus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 pm
BBO Omega wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 pm I see articles that discuss the need to upgrade Rod Bolts due to the increased HP of a new engine combination [quite often due to forced induction in LS applications]. If the increase in HP occurs at a relatively similar RPM, why the need for the upgrade? Other than RPM, Rod, and Piston weight, what else dictates a need for a stronger Rod Bolt?
The loading on a conrod is determined by several parameters: stroke, rod length, rpm, and piston mass; each contributing differently.

Assuming a change in each of the above parameters of 10%, listed below is the change in force seen by the bearing.

+10% stroke = +13.4%
+10% rod len = -3.1%
+10% rpm = +21%
+10% piston mass = +10%
Obviously, rpm and stroke will have the greatest impact on resulting forces.

Changing all the above at one time will increase force by +46%.
41.3 using those factors, an increase in rod length reduces the force.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Isn't good old GM 300M rod/head bolt material good enough for most rod bolts when tempered as required?

pdq67
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

300M can be treated to have superior mechanical properties to the ARP stuff
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

Tell me more about improving the gm bolts.