How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigpoppapreston

Re: How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

Post by bigpoppapreston »

mk e wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 am
bigpoppapreston wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 am Not speaking on the foreign exotics like Ferrari,....
We like to play too! 330ci, simulation says 940hp....if I ever getting it running right
That’s insane. 330 cid and 940 projected horsepower. Man...
-Poppy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: How Radical Is Your Naturally Aspirated or Nitrous Street Car with Full Accessories Including A/C?

Post by GARY C »

bigpoppapreston wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm
mk e wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 am
bigpoppapreston wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 am Not speaking on the foreign exotics like Ferrari,....
We like to play too! 330ci, simulation says 940hp....if I ever getting it running right
That’s insane. 330 cid and 940 projected horsepower. Man...
No doubt, my 306 SBC on a 300 shot ran 6.15 at a 114 eighth, probably 700 horse range, 900+ or anywhere in that area NA is getting it done.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I don't have any fast cars.

I have a customer with a 1978 Monte Carlo with a little 358 with AFR heads. The Jones roller cam is only 256 @ .050". It runs 10.1 sec 1/4 with a 150 shot on pump gas, And yes, all accessories incl A/C and it's driven a lot on the street. I don't consider it all that radical, but it does need an electric vacuum pump for the power brakes.

Another customer has a 501 short deck mopar (Indy heads) in a 70 dodge dart. This car runs mid nines in the 1/4 and is NA on race gas.
He drives it a lot on the street. (Not sure I would though) It's radical and doesn't have A/C ( car never had it)

One more with a 66 Chevelle. An .030" over 396 with 781 heads, Jones Hyd roller and every trick in the book. This is his good weather daily driver, all
accessories, full interior, etc, but again never had A/C. This car has been to the strip a few times and is consistent with low 11 sec runs on pump gas.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

1965 Buick Skylark with a LS3 based 427 and a 6L80 transmission. Positraction rear end with 3.23 gears. Runs 11.5 @ 120 in the quarter mile. Has PB, PS and A/C. AMFM/CD player radio with front and rear speakers. 512 rear wheel horsepower and idles at 800 rpm. Pro Touring type suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. Definitely a street car with racing elements thrown in.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

I had a 2010 AMG E63. Factory stock, all conveniences and complies with emissions rules. 6.2 liter normally aspirated engine, 518 hp. Did quarter mile in mid twelves and 113 mph. Is that radical?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Current OEM supercars whether domestic USA built and sell for $70-80 K or euopean built and sell for many times that of that price are just awesome. They do it all with great road performance and all the creature comforts. It's hard to compete with that. Still there is a lot of satisfaction making a car that was never intended to perform at a supercar level, perform like one.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:11 pm Current OEM supercars whether domestic USA built and sell for $70-80 K or euopean built and sell for many times that of that price are just awesome. They do it all with great road performance and all the creature comforts. It's hard to compete with that. Still there is a lot of satisfaction making a car that was never intended to perform at a supercar level, perform like one.
I agree with everything. Except perhaps with the pricing of the European performance cars:
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles ... odel-C63WS
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles ... del-E63W4S

They are only little higher than that range for US brand performance cars.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

My 1987 SS Monte looked completly stock with me a 65 YO. man driving, It weighted a little less then 4000#, had ALL powers including AC. SBC-400 Blown with 22# (YSI) made 1004 hp It ran 9.82 at 139. Drove it ALL over. At the 1/4 it would draw large crowds :D :D :D :D Oldhead
Quicker then most
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

~1990/1991 we ran a 3750lb 400c powered full optioned 1980 Fairmont ghia, p/s , a/c, complete full trim street rego, cd player (usually playing during start line procedure!)3.9:1 gear, C6 auto 2600 stall. Best of 10.15 with 175shot. Cant remember mph now unfortunately.
Craig.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Couple of customers:

355ci holden, flat tappet pump fuel engine in a holden torana (weight about 3200lb), full interior, power brakes etc, no air con (car never had it), drives it on weekends including blasts down the coast with kids in the back, runs flat 10's at 132mph.

Another 355 holden, solid roller E85 engine in a 3400lb holden commodore, again a weekender taken on cruises etc, but not much highway use as E85 availability out of the city is non existant. Best so far of 10.2 @ 134mph, but plenty more to come once the car is sorted.

Got probably 1/2 a dozen 355 holden powered street cars that are regularly street driven & in the mid/low 10's.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Mine is a 1977 Monte Carlo 421 sb 200-4r has AC & it has ran 11.93 @ 112. Idles @ 800 last time I checked the mpg it got 18 on the highway & it weighs 4200 lbs.
Jim
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

not for most of you guys , and still in the build

but honda b20-22 if i can get a crank cheap , should be 300bhp ish in a crx weighing just over 3/4 ton and planning on dropping 2 stage nitrous 20 and 70 in higher rpm , its fully loaded as glass roof will require every bit of a/c , its a bit like driveing a glass house and you can forget , but any error in driver judgement would be lethal
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

ptuomov wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm I had a 2010 AMG E63. Factory stock, all conveniences and complies with emissions rules. 6.2 liter normally aspirated engine, 518 hp. Did quarter mile in mid twelves and 113 mph. Is that radical?
I think it's time for you to update your radical street car claim now that the Porsche has come home
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

BLSTIC wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:57 pm
ptuomov wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm I had a 2010 AMG E63. Factory stock, all conveniences and complies with emissions rules. 6.2 liter normally aspirated engine, 518 hp. Did quarter mile in mid twelves and 113 mph. Is that radical?
I think it's time for you to update your radical street car claim now that the Porsche has come home
It’s not normally aspirated, it’s turbo. But it is a street car, ended up driving it for about 800-1000 miles last week.
Put Search Keywords Here
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

My old fox body R451 dry sump block needle roller cam bearings Yates heads 366 cid BG king demon TKO2 trans still had ps etc had to ditch the ac as there wasn’t really a easy way to mount the oem compressor. Still had 100% interior with a 6pt cage made 915-920 at the rear wheels. Was not fun to drive on the street with a solid disc clutch. Cost several dollars per mile in racegas to drive around.