GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Really weird bore wear - I'm stumped

Post by GARY C »

sanfordandson wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:21 pm
GARY C wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm Oh and they require more maintenance
That would be incorrect.
Could be, I do one oil change year on my gas vehicle.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

GARY C wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:41 pm Could be, I do one oil change year on my gas vehicle.
Good thing it doesn't take 15 qts or it would be once every two years :D
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:40 pm
GARY C wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:41 pm Could be, I do one oil change year on my gas vehicle.
Good thing it doesn't take 15 qts or it would be once every two years :D
Or I could do what I do some years and just add what is needed when it looses oil pressure. I am just glad it doesn't need a pee tank on it that I have fill and have more than one fuel filter because then I would have 2 filters that I don't change.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

Oil change and fuel filter on my tow rig once a year. I do have the pee tank i have to fill up once also (2017 duramax).

Pretty easy compared to the old days. I never thought i'd give up my 8.1 gasser till I towed with a duramax.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

sanfordandson wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:14 pm Oil change and fuel filter on my tow rig once a year. I do have the pee tank i have to fill up once also (2017 duramax).

Pretty easy compared to the old days. I never thought i'd give up my 8.1 gasser till I towed with a duramax.

No comparison, huh. The gasser kicks down a gear and rides at 4,000 rpm up through the pass and the diesel stays locked up in OD getting twice the fuel mileage. Plus, you get the pleasure of listening to a spooled-up turbo :D
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

That would be incorrect.
The 4.8 in the shop truck has something like 250k and has never been opened, and still has the original fuel injectors. Possibly original fuel filter. Definitely had the OE spark plugs until last month... shame on us!
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

The problem I see with all of these light truck diesels is that when they required maintenance they REALLY require maintenance to the tune of thousands of dollars to remove the heads etc. People simply expect too much from them too with all of this tune up nonsense. Blown head gaskets are not common on a stock Cummins but they happen a lot when they are needlessly turned up. The original 12 valve Cummins was really the best of those engines with later ones getting more and more modifications for emissions reasons with economy suffering very badly. It is pretty unusual to find a cracked head on a 12 valve but it happens a lot on the 24 valve version.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

peejay wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:46 pm
That would be incorrect.
The 4.8 in the shop truck has something like 250k and has never been opened, and still has the original fuel injectors. Possibly original fuel filter. Definitely had the OE spark plugs until last month... shame on us!
My current daily work truck is at 250,000 my nephew has my last truck, it's probably at 350,000 by now both GM V8 gas, I had two Ford Ranger V6's (not a Ford Guy) but both surpassed 400,000 and never had a valve cover off.

EDIT! This is not a recommendation for lack of maintenance, I have several friends that plan on resaleing their trucks and take very good care of them and it shows, I buy used, pay cash and drive them until their is nothing left.
This also is not my gas truck is better than your diesel argument, If I was towing anything of significance on a regular basis it would be with a diesel, I learned that when I bought a 28 ft enclosed.
Please Note!
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

DaveMcLain wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:58 pm The problem I see with all of these light truck diesels is that when they required maintenance they REALLY require maintenance to the tune of thousands of dollars to remove the heads etc. People simply expect too much from them too with all of this tune up nonsense. Blown head gaskets are not common on a stock Cummins but they happen a lot when they are needlessly turned up. The original 12 valve Cummins was really the best of those engines with later ones getting more and more modifications for emissions reasons with economy suffering very badly. It is pretty unusual to find a cracked head on a 12 valve but it happens a lot on the 24 valve version.
I buddy of mine had a 2003 duramax go 950k before it was time for a fresh engine. He had to do injectors once under warranty. No turbo or head gaskets. He hauled camper trailers with it for a living.

My 2017 gets 12-13 towing my 10k lb trailer. I've gotten 23 mpg unloaded.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I have a 04 with 114000, so maybe it'll outlast me.
Jim
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

If you took any of the newer "ford" diesel longblocks, and modified it to have the injection system and power output of the old 7.3 they would last.....nearly forever.
The case/cummins 5.9 got by with with incremental improvements because it was a heavy duty tractor engine to begin with, and a very good design overall IMO, but I think it's time is up too and that's ok, there is not much left to improve on it.

The "consumer grade" cummins 5.9 24 valve heads did often crack through he seats, but it has no seat inserts....just like an old 350.
The 24v case and cummins HD versions have seat inserts and rarely crack, unless severely overheated.

just sayin.....they do awfully well for a engine with flat tappets, and valve seating right on the iron!