Billet alumin(i)um torque plates sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Billet alumin(i)um torque plates sbc

Post by kimosabi »

Are anyone using them or are the steel BHJ types the ones to prefer. I'm thinking distortion.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Re: Billet alumin(i)um torque plates sbc

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

kimosabi wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 am Are anyone using them or are the steel BHJ types the ones to prefer. I'm thinking distortion.
We use a few of them, mostly import engines, not SBC. Are you thinking bore distortion or torque plate distortion?
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Torque plate distortion. Are they as rigid as a aluminum cylinder head? Well, most would probably say "duh" but there's so much stuff on the market now and obviously the goal would be that it simulates a cylinder head but the aluminum plates don't look as rigid as a cylinder head.
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

Been using aluminum plates for years now, found no issues between the cast pieces and the aluminums.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. To the best of my knowledge we MAY be the only shop in the country with a plate for the old Flathead Ford, measures 1.500" thick. Gets used regularly here! Actually serves a dual purpose (block/head/gasket pinning) on these builds! Have 4 ongoing builds as of today.
Flathead Pinning Tooling.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Same here Gary, we can measure no difference in bore distortion between the aluminium torque plate and the head on the block when using the same hardware, and that’s all that matters.

As for the plate deforming, on our Nissan RB plate we’ve had for 10 years the bores are still round and still works the same as when we got it, you just have to use decent washers to stop biting into the aluminium...
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Aluminum works fine for torque plate. The important thing, as cubic_cleveland has pointed out, is the use of the same fasteners to attach the torque plate to the block as will be used to attach the heads to the block. Sturdy, thick-wall spacers will need to be fabricated in order to use these fasteners with the torque plate . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

GOSFAST wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am Been using aluminum plates for years now, found no issues between the cast pieces and the aluminums.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. To the best of my knowledge we MAY be the only shop in the country with a plate for the old Flathead Ford, measures 1.500" thick. Gets used regularly here! Actually serves a dual purpose (block/head/gasket pinning) on these builds! Have 4 ongoing builds as of today.

Flathead Pinning Tooling.JPG
That’s pretty cool for the old flatty... do you notice much difference with and without? I heard the old ford flathead blocks were like bricks...way heavy and very ridged...