Bye-Bye Babbit?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Bye-Bye Babbit?

Post by MadBill »

No more cold start scuffing? http://wardsauto.com/engines/supplier-u ... 63414d19b6 :-k

Or the ultimate coated bearing?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Bye-Bye Babbit?

Post by statsystems »

MadBill wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 pm No more cold start scuffing? http://wardsauto.com/engines/supplier-u ... 63414d19b6 :-k

Or the ultimate coated bearing?

Pretty cool but the way I read it, they are just for hybrid stuff. I wonder would they work in say a 2HP/CID with high rpm?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Bill, i could not help but notice that in the first sentence they seemed to think (made mention of) LOW viscosity oils having a down side??
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Mixed friction....another new age term I have to remember...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

Krooser wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 pm Mixed friction....another new age term I have to remember...
LOL!
Probably another way of saying junk.
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Notice the pictured bearing does not have a 180 groove.
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Interesting - these hybrid engines stop and start the engine at traffic lights and must see a lot of bearing scuff, especially using low viscosity oils (for efficiency.) These are hybrid bearings that have low coefficient of solid-on-solid friction when there's insufficient oil pressure to keep a proper oil film layer.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Sort of like the cam bearings, when you crank an engine with say 350/1000# of spring force... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
kimosabi
Pro
Pro

Post by kimosabi »

Just a harder slippier bearing with a big "pool" instead of the groove and oil hole. Could work real good.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

It's nothing more than marketing talk.

Manufacturers have to remove the lead from bearings to get it out of the environment. Same as getting it out of the fuel.
Aluminium has been used but plastics are the way of the future.
Driving a starter/ alternator off a belt is a bit silly when you can drive it off the end of the crank like Toyota do with the prius. That removes side loadings.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Their description does not say if the entire bearing is constructed of polymers or whether they are describing coatings and wear layers.

I think obviously materials technology in all types of internal combustion engines is constantly improving and coatings and bearing construction materials have already advanced significantly, even in the performance market and racing venues.

This use also is talking about obviously more direct contact between the crankshaft and rod bearing surfaces and the crankshaft journal surfaces , ie in the start/stop use in hybrids with super light weight oils.

I personally like the new performance bearings that use an aluminum-silicone bi-metal layer and oil retaining surfaces and there ability to run on good crankshaft surfaces with little or no wear and actual polishing characteristics. These are the bearing types most OEMS are now using in todays' long running engines. I personally think the old tri-metal babbit bearings have seen their best days and are on the way out.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

That photo looks like a 302 Ford main bearing; 160 degree groove.

I have been using that aluminum type bearing for quite a while now; Clevite though.
All Polymer might work well in the light load upper mains.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

There seems to be confusion with the term "mixed friction." It's an unfortunate marketing department choice of term with no effort to educate.

The reality is there are two types of plain bearing operation: starting from zero rpm there is contact between the bearing and journal. During start up this is the major wear period of every plain bearing system properly designed to be touch free during hydrostatic operation.

In engineering terms that startup phase and the later at speed hydrodynamic operation of a journal bearing are different, the two types of operation are entirely diverse. The first one does involve friction. The second does not if it's working properly.