one quart of 30W heavy duty and five quarts of non-detergent

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

one quart of 30W heavy duty and five quarts of non-detergent

Post by Krooser »

I've been getting pretty lax on doing routine maintenance on my old Ram pickup.... 285,000 miles and it's run out of oil a couple times. Still runs OK and it's mostly just a run around parts truck right now.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to buy some oil and change the oil in my Buick and the Ram... plus I bought oil and a filter for my son's Chevy pick-up. I made a deal with him that if he changed the oil in my two vehicles I'd buy the supllies for his truck.

Two weeks later and the weather is getting colder and the kid still hasn't made any effort to change any oil so old Dad gets busy today and jacked up the Ram to get 'er done.

First thing I notice is the drain plug is hanging on by about four threads... and the filter was installed by Charles Atlas. I had my 'buddy' do the last service for me... undertightened the drain plug and overtightened the filter.

So I get the oil drained, install a new filter and begin to replace the oil. I grab six quarts of 30W out of the box and get the last quart into the engine and I notice the bottle label sez 'non-detergent'! WTF?

Sure enough... one quart of 30W heavy duty and five quarts of non-detergent... shoot. Should have worn my glasses at the parts store.

I guess the world won't end. This old girl goes thru a quart of oil every two weeks or so depending on how hard I push it so I'm going to let her get down one quart and but a bottle of Rislone to help put some additives back in the pan.

BTW... speaking of non-detergent oil how many of you still use that stuff on engine break-in... up until 10 years ago there was no such thing as break in oil!
Last edited by speedtalk on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Generic title
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: So I guess I should have worn my glasses...

Post by cgarb »

Any oil is better than no oil.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

You are so right!
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

You old engine might appreciate a bottle of this until you get the right grade of oil in it.

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

That Lucus is made for short term break in use, like no more then 100 miles!
See the note on its label about not for passenger car use!

If your motor is only normally dirty on the inside I would add 3/4 of a QT of ATF, not rislone!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

That Lucus is made for short term break in use, like no more then 100 miles!
See the note on its label about not for passenger car use!

If your motor is only normally dirty on the inside I would add 3/4 of a QT of ATF, not Rislone.

If you add rislone you had better plan on changing out the filter again in 200 miles of driving.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

The Lucas additive contains the zinc compound an old engine needs that is not in the "non-detergent" oil mistakenly put in the OP's engine. He should drain and replace it with the correct grade of oil with the additive package intended for his specific engine. If it is an old flat lifter non-roller engine it should have zinc.
Lucas Oil wrote:Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive TB Zinc-Plus protects camshaft
lifters and valve train during break-in period of motors. It is excellent for flat tappet camshafts during break-in or as an additive to any motor oil to prevent premature wear. It contains an exclusive blend of extreme pressure additives and is designed for race applications requiring additional extreme pressure additives. Dyno testing shows a more efficient break-in when used, resulting in less engine run time prior to race day.
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Break-In-Additive.pdf
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Tuner I like your post; a no BS approach.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Re: one quart of 30W heavy duty and five quarts of non-detergent

Post by j-c-c »

Not sure if this is story or a question.

Did you say if this was a gas motor, and/or flat tappet or roller cam?

What were your oil change intervals previously over 250,000+ miles?

If me, if roller cam, i would do nothing, add make up detergent oil maybe shorten next oil change interval, get with the times and use a multi viscosity, and have friend be in charge solely of holding my beer.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Over the years, there have been recommendations for adding STP, Rislone, Marvel Mystery Oil, diesel fuel, ATF and others to engine oil.

I have a friend who's been a top lubrication engineer for Chevron for forty years. His take, "They all buy their feed stock from us, put it in brightly-colored small cans and charge a bunch for it. If any of those were of any benefit whatsoever, it would cost only pennies, not dollars, for us to add them to our oil before the consumer gets it. That it isn't in our oil is all you need to know."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I would pour a bottle of GM's, "EOS", in her and go!

pdq67
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

It's a 5.2 gas engine... I've owned it for four years. I guess I've out on 80,000 + miles in that time. Oil change intervals? Beats me. I change it when it gets ugly or whenever I think about it... the old girl really has been neglected.

This is an oil burner no doubt... not many skeeters around my house. I usually use straight 40W during the summer to keep oil consumption reasonable... if I use a multigrade, anything less that a 15W40, it eats plenty of oil when I just run around town. Highway consumption is a little less. I did use 50w for a while. Winter is coming so I use a 30w oil... anything heavier is too tough to crank when it's subzero.

I know this is blasphemous to most here but it's a beater truck... what can I say.

I treated the trans to some Seafoam Transmission Rebuild In A Can yesterday... sorta kinda fixed the slow 1-2 upshift when cold. All this maintenance is making me tired... :lol:
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:44 pm I would pour a bottle of GM's, "EOS", in her and go!

pdq67
Not a bad idea... I still have several cans of the old formula on the shelf... come to think of it I have an opened cam that I used for assembly lube when I rebuilt the engine in my wife's Jeep.

Gotta find that stuff....
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Krooser wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:55 pm
pdq67 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:44 pm I would pour a bottle of GM's, "EOS", in her and go!

pdq67
Not a bad idea... I still have several cans of the old formula on the shelf... come to think of it I have an opened cam that I used for assembly lube when I rebuilt the engine in my wife's Jeep.

Gotta find that stuff....
The EOS is what to use. The Zinc compound in EOS and the Lucas additive is essentially the same. EOS would have been my first choice but it didn't seem likely to me that you would have any available. I think Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate in the LUcas and Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate in EOS. Read the label.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

drain the oil and use it in an air compressor. Most non-detergent oils have very little ep additives