Flow vs hp

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Flow vs hp

Post by MadBill »

Wow Andy, most impressive! My 1970 nostalgia specs (except for a ~ 270/274° 0.746"/0.710" Jones roller) 12:1 2 x 4 bbl. 495" Can Am BBC heads flow~ 365/270 @ 0.750" and I've only been counting on ~ 750 HP/675 Tq. when I dyno it. Maybe I should raise the bar a bit... =D>

How much did the Q16 pick it up?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Those are very impressive results from a 514 wedge head Mopar.
1.75hp/cu.in. from those specs. Nicely done, Congratulations! =D>
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Hey Andy would you tell us the Bore and stroke------max. CFM possible----intake valve size---and LSA---and con-rod length please ???? thanks Mark
user-29956

Post by user-29956 »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm Hey Andy would you tell us the Bore and stroke------max. CFM possible----intake valve size---and LSA---and con-rod length please ???? thanks Mark
I also would be interested in some details. I am currently working with a major developer on a similar project. Good job!
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Vee-Dizzie wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:41 pm
swampbuggy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm Hey Andy would you tell us the Bore and stroke------max. CFM possible----intake valve size---and LSA---and con-rod length please ???? thanks Mark
I also would be interested in some details. I am currently working with a major developer on a similar project. Good job!
So, he is supposed to give up all the details so you can give them to a major developer. Isn't that sort of an oxymoron? If they were a major developer, why would they need you? And why would he give you all the secrets, as I am sure none of this free. Why wouldn't he want to talk to the developer and profit for all his work.
user-29956

Post by user-29956 »

Frankshaft wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 pm
So, he is supposed to give up all the details so you can give them to a major developer. Isn't that sort of an oxymoron? If they were a major developer, why would they need you?
I have been subcontracted to analyze various facets of their initial airflow model. I am certainly not interested in stealing someone else's intellectual property. I apologize
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Engine is 4.440 x 4.150. It has good parts in it, Mopar race block, Callies crank, Oliver 7.100 long rods and custom pistons from Diamond. Not a lot of tricks in the shortblock, lateral gas ports and 0.043 rings is about as trick as it gets.

Heads were CNC ported by Modern Cylinder Head and then touched up by Porter Racing Heads. Intake is ported by Wilson. Engine has Jesel rocker arms, 1.85 on the intake and 1.70 on the exhaust. Gross valve lift on the intake is 0.890 inches. Cam is Crane solid roller with their 0.481 lobes. Compression is a little over 15:1.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

MadBill wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 pm Wow Andy, most impressive! My 1970 nostalgia specs (except for a ~ 270/274° 0.746"/0.710" Jones roller) 12:1 2 x 4 bbl. 495" Can Am BBC heads flow~ 365/270 @ 0.750" and I've only been counting on ~ 750 HP/675 Tq. when I dyno it. Maybe I should raise the bar a bit... =D>

How much did the Q16 pick it up?
Q16 was worth about 20 hp gain when I was running a 1250 Dominator. Q16 was worth zero with EFI. My guess is that injecting the Q16 on the back of the intake valve prevents it from absorbing heat in the intake so it kills off the power gain that we saw with a carb. But I'm open for suggestions.

I decided to stop using Q16 now that the engine is fuel injected since it is super expensive and doesn't make anymore power than the much cheaper X16. Besides, the Q16 smells horrible and gives me a head ache and it seems to chemically attack parts. So bye bye Q16 for me!
Andy F.
AR Engineering
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Frankshaft wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 pm
So, he is supposed to give up all the details so you can give them to a major developer. Isn't that sort of an oxymoron? If they were a major developer, why would they need you? And why would he give you all the secrets, as I am sure none of this free. Why wouldn't he want to talk to the developer and profit for all his work.
I don't mind. This is an R&D engine and it is an open book. I freely share anything I learn with this engine. Here is an article from Hot Rod website on the engine: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-hp-efi-install/
Andy F.
AR Engineering