Re: Another holden - hillclimb/road racer & a lil different

Post by tuffxf »

Awesome project, well done!☺
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

How much difference is there between the Holden engines and a Gen 1 Chevrolet sb?
I watch touring car masters, what engines do the Holdens there run?
Completely different!
They do share bore spacing & mains journal spacing - in the dark ages before you could buy stroker cranks for holdens guys would modify SBC cranks to fit.

In touring car masters the engines had to have been a factory option - for example a HQ holden sedan can only run a 308 holden, wheras a HQ coupe (Monaro) can run a SBC 350.
70's ford usually run clevo's.
I'm not real up to date on the exact rules, but they are quite limited, factory type block & head castings, some exceptions are made allowing aftermarket iron heads (so the SBC's can keep up with the clevos). Capacity is limited to 10% (I think) above the largest factory capacity with a max of 6000cc regardless. So you can run a 330 cube Windsor, but not a 383 chev.

The holdens don't do real well in touring car masters, factory capacity was 308ci, so they lag in capacity & the early head castings they have to run are the same as on this engine & limit HP.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Tony,

Have seen some of those early Holden heads when I was in Perth a short while back. 556 hp sound like a great effort based on what I saw.

Good work - hope to see you down the road a while.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

It says that aluminum heads are allowed if it is listed in the vehicles VO document.
Those heads must be very thick if you can port them that much.Is the block also thick?
I know what you mean saying that you never want to port such heads again.
I am busy with a Cosworth BDA hrad that is going to be used on a BDG.
Going from 20 to 30mm in the intake ports.
Aluminum though.

Erland
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

I can´t see the pictures, thats why I asked about Holden heads.
But I have looked them up now and I see that the engine is very different to a CSB.

Erland
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Erland - heads are quite thick, but not as thick as I'd like in some spots! Getting cross section through the pinch is not too hard, but getting enough height & width through the short turn & width into the bowl is dicey. I picked these castings from a pile of heads looking for minimal core shift, clean water jackets etc. Most castings won't go this far!

Blocks are 'ok' - tough in the mains, decks are pretty stable, but bores can be a bit on the thin side - hence the fairly tall grout fill.
Properly prepped with a grout fill & steel 4 bolt mains caps the blocks will take 1000hp & more without catastrophic failure, but the bores get oddly shaped after a while.
Oiling system is woeful, but can be mostly fixed & dry sump covers all sorts of sins!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

:lol: i like the 'bores get oddly shaped' bit !
Tony do you know if the 5.0efi blocks are any better/worse/same as the 308 carb blocks? Or any difference in red/black blocks?
Cheers
Craig.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

VN on 5L blocks are a bit tougher in the mains, VS on has blind head bolt holes (not through to water).
Probably the toughest blocks are the VS blocks, VT is a close second.
The red/blue blocks are all the same, black blocks can be the same as blue or updated & more like a VN - I've seen both, must have changed part way through, maybe the VL black is different to the VK black?