Used Lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Used Lifters

Post by cgarb »

I just got a some used lifters and was cleaning them up and noticed the previous owner/builder cut a small groove looks like a Dremel from the oil band to the pushed oiling hole. I assume to increase oil to the rockers. Why would someone need that much oil up there? Would this be a problem in a drag race engine with wet sump?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Used Lifters

Post by cgarb »

IMG_20171101_193445_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

cgarb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm I just got a some used lifters and was cleaning them up and noticed the previous owner/builder cut a small groove looks like a Dremel from the oil band to the pushed oiling hole. I assume to increase oil to the rockers. Why would someone need that much oil up there? Would this be a problem in a drag race engine with wet sump?
Probably because the oil may have been restricted somewhere else.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

circle track engines need to keep the valve springs cool and the oil doe this. high dollar circle track engines use spring oilers in the rocker covers to keep the springs in a oil bath all the time . what you have allows the spring to get more cooling oil at a lower cost
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

cgarb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm I just got a some used lifters and was cleaning them up and noticed the previous owner/builder cut a small groove looks like a Dremel from the oil band to the pushed oiling hole. I assume to increase oil to the rockers. Why would someone need that much oil up there? Would this be a problem in a drag race engine with wet sump?
Ive done that to all of my roller builds from 7500 street to 9800 race with an .06 restricter in the back wet sump , no issues. You would be surprised how much oil still gets to the rockers/ springs with that mod and a restrictor in the rear and pushrod
Tom
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Another note on lifters. If you are checking lifters that are used, what are you looking for in wear? I have been cleaning these with parts solevent and compressed air drying them off. everynow and then you can roll the wheel and feel a rough spot, how would one tell if that is debris in the rollers or an actual bad roller? I can feel very little to no play in the wheel and axle. The deal is I have 2 sets exact same lifters. Trying to pick the best 16 lifters to keep as spares and send the worst set back to crower to be rebuilt.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If it's been spun and flushed a number of times and the rough spot stays, I'd assume it's damage, not debris.

Been there re sorting rollers; it's like that old Johnny Cash song: "...put on my cleanest dirty shirt..." :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I've been rolling on my cleanest dirty shirt for a while now...lol
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

MadBill wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:41 pm If it's been spun and flushed a number of times and the rough spot stays, I'd assume it's damage, not debris.

Been there re sorting rollers; it's like that old Johnny Cash song: "...put on my cleanest dirty shirt..." :)
Yeah, Bill, one for the old outlaws among us. Those of us who build obsolete engines spend a lot of time tryin' to find that cleanest dirty shirt.

FWIW, it was Johnny Cash covering Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down". In a 2013 interview, Kristofferson said the song "opened up a whole lot of doors for me. So many people that I admired, admired it. Actually, it was the song that allowed me to quit working for a living." While I love 'em both, I like Kris' version the best, but the biggest success for the song came from the Johnny Cash performance, taped live at the Ryman Auditorium during a taping of The Johnny Cash Show as part of a "Ride This Train" segment, with filmed background visuals showing a down and out wanderer roaming around the Public Square area of Shelbyville. Cash's version won the Country Music Association Award for Song of the Year in 1970 and hit number one on the country chart. R.I.P. John.

And
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

I know that this is the internet and all but I have a true story to tell you.

I bought a used engine with top of the line lifters in it. I won't say the manufacturer because I don't think its their fault. When I disassembled the engine a couple lifters had that crunching feeling when turning the wheels. I sent them back to the manufacturer for cleaning and inspection. When they sent them back to me they said they were okay. I checked to see if there was any change to the wheels that seemed iffy. There was no change. I sent the lifters to the engine builder and asked him to check them out. He said they were okay.

Third pull on the dyno and one of the crunchy lifters failed. Took out the cam journal of the new cam and sprayed shrapnel everywhere. Two piston skirts on the new pistons were scored and had shavings embedded in them and the news rings were unusable. The cylinders of the two pistons were scored. The oil pump was also hurt.

Take it from me and put the best lifters of the bunch in a box and send them back to the manufacturer for a complete rebuild whether they need it or not. It's cheap insurance.

If I had bought new lifters in the first place I would have been thousands ahead in the long run. I should have done that and didn't and paid a big price for it.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Have any of you fellas used the Crower Camsaver lifters?

http://www.crower.com/media/pdf/2008b/140-141.pdf
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
hpetew

Post by hpetew »

Krooser wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 am Have any of you fellas used the Crower Camsaver lifters?

http://www.crower.com/media/pdf/2008b/140-141.pdf
I think that grooving the lifter bore would work better because it consistently oils the leading edge of the lifter/cam interface.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I had a policy never rebuild a engine I did not build originally because you have no idea what was quality of the parts used and how much they were used
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

The motor is getting the rebuilt set. Just keep the extra set around so I can cycle them out. The one set feels absolutely fine except for 1 pair. I think I'm going to send the 1 pair and 1 set for rebuild, that way if I would notice a lash change or something I could swap out a set and keep racing while the rebuild is getting done. They are Crower HIPPO .903 lifters for a SBC. Probably way overkill for my bracket set up anyway, but I like knowing I have good stuff.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

Krooser wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 am Have any of you fellas used the Crower Camsaver lifters?
GM 2.8 V6 lifters also had the oiling flat, if a stock-type lifter will work for your application. Or you can rig a holder for your cap cutter and make your own.

The flats seem to work as well as the fancy EDM'd oil holes, and you can do it to any lifters.

BTW, on GM used to sell Delco-branded lifters that had a welded Stellite wear face. They were a big-truck part as far as I know. If you keep an eye on old-dealership or NOS parts auctions you can occasionally score a set.