cummins

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ebert
cummins

Post by ebert »

what would be a good price to charge someone to rebuild a set of 400 big cam cummins heads, valve job and mill. thanks
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: cummins

Post by cgarb »

A good price for who? You or the customer? I do things for people and don't charge much, but I'm not making a living doing it. I somewhat enjoy working on engines and I help mostly friends and family. If I had overhead and was making my living doing it, then that would reflect in my prices for sure. Maybe call some local shops in your area...or have someone else call and quote the job. See what's the going rate. Prices can change by the location too, work being done in NY or other populated areas tend to be more pricey than someone doing the same work in a lower economic less populated area.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I would charge extra for the back surgery if you are handling Cummins diesel heads by yourself. Last set I did for a buddy, I told him he had to come and help me lift them on and off the bench, and roll them as I cleaned and checked measurements.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

ebert wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:33 pm what would be a good price to charge someone to rebuild a set of 400 big cam cummins heads, valve job and mill. thanks
That 400 big cam has three separate heads. I would charge $25 per valve for the valve job. Replacing guides or seats is extra. $60 per head to resurface.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o