Nos on vortecs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rocketracer380
Pro
Pro
Nos on vortecs

Post by rocketracer380 »

My set up is a std bore SBC 350 with lt1 pistons .010 deck and .039 gaskets the heads are engine quest ch350c with mild clean up and good valve job to accommodate larger valves with a 2.02 1.6 valves the comp ratio is about 10:5 with 58 cc heads o plan on a 200 shot and starting out with about 26 degrees total I've never shot on vortecs do you experts think the mahle pistons will hold up im running an gm elimnator and a 750 carb I'd like to make 600 reliably thanks for your imput
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro
Re: Nos on vortecs

Post by rocketracer380 »

Actually cc is 64 my comp is about 10:6
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Use hi octane racing gasoline and you won't hurt any piston. I have hit motors with stock cast pistons with more nitrous than that and never hurt a piston. Use crappy fuel and you are on your own and it won't matter what piston it is.
if you are going to use pump gas keep the N2o short at 175 or LESS.
Make the car go fast with LESS nitrous if you want to play on pump gas.
110 octane race gas is cheaper than sets of pistons.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Some time if you advance the cam you got, a bit the car does better on X amount of nitrous.
More better car performance on the level of nitrous used. More efficient.
Make more with less. Go faster longer for less $$$
( Advancing the cam ( you got) helps the larger volume of N2O combustion exhaust gas get out better)
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

What is the motor being used for?
If you could I would first get the car tuned right like on a chassis dyno so that your not in a danger zone from the get go even before the spray goes in , and also to max our your NA level of HP.

425 hp in tuned form means to hit 600 you only need to spray in 175 worth and not 200!

If you do not do things this way then be sure to drop down one heat range plug wise besides going down to 26 degrees !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you use high octane racing fuel with the nitrous then you don't need to retard the spark timing quite so much ( to avoid detonation) Therefore you make more power and go faster on X amount of nitrous without fear of a piston failure.
Yes dropping down 1-2 heat ranges and even going to a non projected tip spark plug is nice on nitrous at higher short levels.

X2 on ensureing the N/A tune up is correct first., too.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Have you used nitrous before?
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Yes since about 89 but never on vortecs
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Once your baseline timing is set then the nitrous should tune like your use to, if your combo is right you will pick up more than the pill size claims.
The only one I dynoed was a 357 with a dart head, the chamber work and dome put it at about 11.5 compression and on an old top gun plate it picked up 180 on a 150 shot without pulling any timing out of the engines 37* base line and 275 on a 225 fogger @ 28* timing.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

rocketracer380 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 am Yes since about 89 but never on vortecs
I ask because most all factory printed tunes (jet spread) are horribly rich. Which is a huge problem!

Get with a custom nitrous company for their tuneup ..ask about your heads. They will get you fixed up.

Good luck
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

stealth wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 am
rocketracer380 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 am Yes since about 89 but never on vortecs
I ask because most all factory printed tunes (jet spread) are horribly rich. Which is a huge problem!

Get with a custom nitrous company for their tuneup ..ask about your heads. They will get you fixed up.

Good luck
Running them lean hurts tq, starting at the factory setting and the reducing the fuel pill slightly to fine tune works well but it is a small power gain and on a small system you may not see a gain on the track but if you go to far you will see melted plugs and pistons.

All the bad rap that nitrous has gotten has come from people pushing the limit bad tune up.

Nitrous is one place where an egt probe can be helpfull, you can actually tune on nitrous to get almost the same egt as your getting naturally aspirated.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Sorry Gary, not true on the egt probe. I've been doing nitrous since the mid 80's. It's a good idea but an EGT probe cannot react fast enough for you to read and then for you to save your engine. Before widebands I used to do a 1-2 second burst and pull plugs.

A good way now on the cheap is a wideband and a cheap datalogger such as dataq.com starter kit. This 4 channel is only $59 https://www.dataq.com/products/di-1100/ They have an 8 channel for $89 and the windaq software is easily configurable for all their kits.

Nitrous is alot of fun and as Gary mentioned, creep up on the tune and carefully monitor fuel pressure and bottle pressure for consistency.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

GARY C wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:38 pm
stealth wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 am

Good luck
Running them lean hurts tq, starting at the factory setting and the reducing the fuel pill slightly to fine tune works well but it is a small power gain and on a small system you may not see a gain on the track but if you go to far you will see melted plugs and pistons.

All the bad rap that nitrous has gotten has come from people pushing the limit bad tune up.

Nitrous is one place where an egt probe can be helpfull, you can actually tune on nitrous to get almost the same egt as your getting naturally aspirated.
Where did I say run lean....? Running rich like I said causes BIG problems...

You have to be very close on tune to start ..then dial in fuel pressure...jet spread, timing etc...

My point is don’t try to reinvent the wheel...use a proven tuneup...
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In-Tech wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:10 pm Sorry Gary, not true on the egt probe. I've been doing nitrous since the mid 80's. It's a good idea but an EGT probe cannot react fast enough for you to read and then for you to save your engine. Before widebands I used to do a 1-2 second burst and pull plugs.

A good way now on the cheap is a wideband and a cheap datalogger such as dataq.com starter kit. This 4 channel is only $59 https://www.dataq.com/products/di-1100/ They have an 8 channel for $89 and the windaq software is easily configurable for all their kits.

Nitrous is alot of fun and as Gary mentioned, creep up on the tune and carefully monitor fuel pressure and bottle pressure for consistency.
I agree that the modern equipment is far better but on the dyno the egt was a simple way for us to match timing and fuel pill and see a power gain as well as verifying plug readings.

I don't think egt would be accurate enough for fine tuning, in my case on a 250 shot fogger adding 2 degrees of timing reduced egt about 250 degrees and picked up 20 horse.

These were pulls from 5000 to 7500 on a 600 rpm per second setting.
Please Note!
Kbails

Post by Kbails »

In-Tech wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:10 pm Sorry Gary, not true on the egt probe. I've been doing nitrous since the mid 80's. It's a good idea but an EGT probe cannot react fast enough for you to read and then for you to save your engine. Before widebands I used to do a 1-2 second burst and pull plugs.

will any wideband sensor work with this datalogger ? this is my first time hearing of these inexpensive units and I would like to buy one. seems like a nice way to really see whats going on. what items would you buy to set one of these up?
Long Island, NY