F1 Burns Oil For Power

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: F1 Burns Oil For Power

Post by Steve.k »

Well that be a high strung 500 but i get what your saying. However for simplicity and no forced induction pretty hard to not respect rotax!Little off topic but the 2-stroke benifits from this oiling as he talks about. Even though it would not live without it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I just found it interesting how things that have always been considered bad can actually be used to gain power.

I have always ran nitrous engines and the consensus was that oil in the chamber was detrimental, true or not with nitrous I don't know, I have run some leaky engines but never hurt anything.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Maybe the old adage she went the best just before it blew up has some merit?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:44 pm Maybe the old adage she went the best just before it blew up has some merit?
Could be, thankfully I never had to do the NASCAR interview where the guy says " Well I don't know, she just blowed up!" :D
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

treyrags wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:25 pm I remember some of our comp competitors back in the late 80's mixing nitro in the oil to gain a few hundredths in a final. Seemed sketchy to me but I guess they figured one pass was not going to kill it.
I knew of at least one Pro Stock competitor from that era that used to get used oil from Fuel teams for that last "Hail Mary" qualifying pass.
One pail of used and nitro diluted oil, a PCV style line breathing into the plenum, no lube in the axle, and one shot at making number 16. This was back when they had 30 cars trying to make the field and it was an all or nothing deal. I seem to remember that it worked...
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

2 strokes have oil in the combustion chamber by default and often more oil makes more power. What the optimum amount of oil is, I don't know, yet, but it is more than 6%, and 6% is way, way more than what is needed for lubrication purposes. The right oil in the right form, like anything else, affects the combustion process. Nitro is not needed.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:44 pm Maybe the old adage she went the best just before it blew up has some merit?

In my own experience they certainly DO go really well just before they blow up.
Done that a few times.
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

nitro2 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm 2 strokes have oil in the combustion chamber by default and often more oil makes more power. What the optimum amount of oil is, I don't know, yet, but it is more than 6%, and 6% is way, way more than what is needed for lubrication purposes.
Oil improves sealing piston to cylinder. Very little 2-stroke engines don't use piston rings at all but about 30% oil in fuel.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

The new series e-tec engines from Rotax very stingy on oil compared to earlier engines. The new motors have electronic variable pumps that inject oil anywhere from 100:1 at idle to 30:1 or so at wide open. Taking cues from throttle position. Very high tec now.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

naukkis79 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:31 am
nitro2 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm 2 strokes have oil in the combustion chamber by default and often more oil makes more power. What the optimum amount of oil is, I don't know, yet, but it is more than 6%, and 6% is way, way more than what is needed for lubrication purposes.
Oil improves sealing piston to cylinder. Very little 2-stroke engines don't use piston rings at all but about 30% oil in fuel.
In a proper 2 stroke (i.e. one with rings), additional sealing is not the effect, there is a change in the combustion process, as recorded. The same combustion effect would translate over to 4 strokes.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com