General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Porting the VW/Audi 8v head with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 »

1025171947a.jpg
Three counterflow 8v heads and one later crossflow head a 2" slice of a 1.8l block. This is a port and chamber developement project for an ST member who would like to remain annonymous. This project actually started months ago but these parts arrived recently. Project outline develope an intake, exhaust and chamber with the idea of max usable output in a full body street ride. Max rpm is only 7000 rpm looking at the vertical sohc design layout the guides and valves are very short and the spring package is very short. Hydraulic buckets directly act on valves buckets can be upgraded for solid buckets and save some weight and increase rpm. The stock rods and cast pistons are very robust for a small engine. I would feel comfortable spinning the stock rotating kit to 8000 but the customer isn't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Porting the VW/Audi 8v head with port energy discussion

Post by Carnut1 »

gu_exhaust.jpg
gu_intake.jpg
some internet pics of my challenge. Cutaway exhaust and intake port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1026171842.jpg
gasket, 2" block slice, cylinder head clamped. I am not a fan of clamping heads but I need to buy some hardware to be able to bolt this whole assembly together. Swirl meter still mounted under bore adapter. I couldn't wait to get started so this was first up.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1101171826a.jpg
Stock 2 angle valve job 1.57" and 1.3" valve seats. This may go from 8mm stems to 7mm stems possibly offset valve centers, possible welded chambers, possible oversized valves. All dependant on how responsive these heads are and projected output. We will see the customer is interested in pushing limits so everything is on the table.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1104170925.jpg[/attachment]Customer designed custom plugs to fill injector holes.
1104170925.jpg
Plug blended into port
631-816-4911
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Would there be a point to offsetting the valves given that they're already on-center and the bores are tiny?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

peejay wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:34 pm Would there be a point to offsetting the valves given that they're already on-center and the bores are tiny?
I get the feeling it would not be worth the effort. Even oversized valves are only 1mm larger.
631-816-4911
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Do you typically see an increase of swirl in a totally round port? A square port I would think the air is kept more straight with the flat side walls. In the pump hydraulics world we use vanes in places to keep the fluid from creating a vortex and that will cause cavitation. We even have honeycomb looking "flow straighteners" integrated into some large piping.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Unless you plan on putting a different camshaft to this and spinning 7500rpm+. Nothing more than a bowl blend is needed. That head flows more than the engine will take in stock form even with a mild camshaft valve event. I see this too often. People want me to port heads and throw a stock camshaft in the mix. And are pissed because they didn't pick up 100hp. Meanwhile other forums insure customers this unobtainable to gain with stock configuration.

I applause your work in the speed community. But there needs to be a blunt truth to some of these people in what they want. Sometimes a performance cam. Will offset any portwork period!
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

cgarb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 am Do you typically see an increase of swirl in a totally round port? A square port I would think the air is kept more straight with the flat side walls. In the pump hydraulics world we use vanes in places to keep the fluid from creating a vortex and that will cause cavitation. We even have honeycomb looking "flow straighteners" integrated into some large piping.
I have seen swirl kill horsepower big. And I have seen swirl improve brake specifics. Dependant upon what the goal is, more swirl is not an indicator of more hp.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

cgarb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 am Do you typically see an increase of swirl in a totally round port? A square port I would think the air is kept more straight with the flat side walls. In the pump hydraulics world we use vanes in places to keep the fluid from creating a vortex and that will cause cavitation. We even have honeycomb looking "flow straighteners" integrated into some large piping.
I do not have lots of experience with round ports. What I do like about them is they have the best surface to volume ratio you can get. They also have less places to create eddy currents which would increase the Reynolds number. In theory this should give a lower turbulence air stream and the porter should be able to push the speed of the air higher than a rectangular port of the same mcsa. This should improve the engines ability to produce lower rpm torque and not fall off as fast in upper rpm. So far stock these do not have a high swirl at the lifts this valve layout can accomodate. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

MTENGINES wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 am Unless you plan on putting a different camshaft to this and spinning 7500rpm+. Nothing more than a bowl blend is needed. That head flows more than the engine will take in stock form even with a mild camshaft valve event. I see this too often. People want me to port heads and throw a stock camshaft in the mix. And are pissed because they didn't pick up 100hp. Meanwhile other forums insure customers this unobtainable to gain with stock configuration.

I applause your work in the speed community. But there needs to be a blunt truth to some of these people in what they want. Sometimes a performance cam. Will offset any portwork period!
Mt, I don't disagree with you a bit. The customer is set on 7000 rpm as of now. The stock components are well designed and I feel with some prep and balancing could easily go 8000 rpm. I am more worried about the short valve train and bucket arrangement as far as rpm. There has already been the camshaft discussion with the customer and DV and Mike Jones names were mentioned. A quick ratio proportion equation with stock airflows are similar to a 370cfm head on a 306 Ford. So it does sound a bit silly working to increase cfm on such a design. So, cfm, port energy, turbulence, swirl, tumble, chamber design will all need a good look at. MT, it is high performance engine design, anyone can do it! Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

MTENGINES wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:40 am
I have seen swirl kill horsepower big. And I have seen swirl improve brake specifics. Dependant upon what the goal is, more swirl is not an indicator of more hp.
MT, as of what I have seen so far on this head I have worked on flow increases from .05" lift to .5" lift which I feel is about all the stock valve train is capable of. I would like to keep as much llf as possible even though many believe to just work on hlf. As of now swirl was about 1500 rpm at .5" lift stock and after about 5 cut and try flowtests the swirl has increased to about 2000 rpm. This was with Pitot work and no port biasing to increase swirl. Someone else wrote at some point just work on flow quantity and quality and let the swirl fall where it may. Or something very similar. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I can very well see where too much swirl will go from keeping fuel suspended to slinging it to the edges of the chamber and creating a dead spot in the center. Maybe that's not what too much swirl does but it makes sense by my logic.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1106171442d.jpg
1106171442c.jpg
Exhaust and intake bowl work. With some more Pitot work I expected more flow improvements but seems the bowl ratio needed adjustment.
631-816-4911