100 cc buret need to buy/best price, etc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
100 cc buret need to buy/best price, etc

Post by garym »

I am in need to buy a 100 cc buret to measure combustion chambers,etc.Also is a buret that is scaled in ML the same as CC,s ?? THANKS garym
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro
Re: 100 cc buret need to buy/best price, etc

Post by Charliesauto »

One ML is the same as one CC, Fisher Scientific has 100 ML burets for somewhere in the low $20 range, sometimes you have to wait on them to backorder. We prefer the glass over plastic.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

go to your local vet and ask for a 100cc syringe......
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

DO NOT buy a low cost, budget, non scientific rated burette, even though it may be made of Pyrex glass.

Almost 40 years ago I bought one which was not scientific rated and after getting thrown out after setting an NHRA record I went home to check it against another engine builder's and this 100 cc burette filled a scientific rated burette to 95.1 cc's. Everything I had previously done was actually 5% less than the reading it gave.

No cheap burettes ever again.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Wow Walter, I knew the plastic ones are bad, I didn't know the glass ones varied that much. My glass one of many many years broke a few years ago and replaced it with "I think" one of those I listed. I have never verified it but now I will, shoot I better verify the glass ones in my injector tester now too. #-o
-Carl
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Find one made with a red streak down its back. In use, the streak forms a point at the meniscus which makes it easier to read accurately. And after you've broken a few glass tips- which scraps the whole assembly, you'll likely change your mind about glass in the shop. For ultimate accuracy, use glass. In the garage, use plastic. Google has quite a selection.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

I just ordered three of these, stated tolerance of .1 ml for $20.50 each. When they get here I will fill them with 100 grams of distilled water and let you know what the cc/ml reading indicates. It does state tolerance, not accuracy so we shall see.

You can pay $200-$300 for a buret with a tolerance of .03 ml, as old as I am I probably can't see good enough to read the meniscus anywhere that close

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products ... yword=true
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

I use windshield washer solvent, cheap by the gallon, and it has less surface tension which keeps the curvature a little flatter and the color is a bit easier to see. Not any big deal, just a thought.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Charliesauto wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 pm I just ordered three of these, stated tolerance of .1 ml for $20.50 each. When they get here I will fill them with 100 grams of distilled water and let you know what the cc/ml reading indicates. It does state tolerance, not accuracy so we shall see.

You can pay $200-$300 for a buret with a tolerance of .03 ml, as old as I am I probably can't see good enough to read the meniscus anywhere that close

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products ... yword=true
Thanks for that link.
-Carl
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

One of the piston companies was selling a buret for cheap which was 12 !@#$$ off !!! It was plastic with a graduated decal that was shrunk. I machined, in a lathe, a guage from a piece of metal with a recess using the dimension of 2" x .253 deep. That produced a 13cc dish using the NHRA formula of 2x2x.7854 x.253 div.x.061 Stamp the result on the back and keep it handy. Of course, the recess can be any dimension but the important part is to stamp the formulated cc's on that metal. Now you can use ANY buret and check it against a piece of Plexiglas and your guage
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

fdicrasto wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:46 pm I use windshield washer solvent, cheap by the gallon, and it has less surface tension which keeps the curvature a little flatter and the color is a bit easier to see. Not any big deal, just a thought.
We use washer fluid also. One reason we like the glass burets, we once had a plastic buret and when wiping fluid residue from the outside we wiped the markings off. Seems like it was only a problem with one brand of washer fluid.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I use a mixture of ATF and Varsol. When checking piston dome volumes on an assembled shortblock for example, I can up the viscosity a bit to reduce the chance of leakage past the rings and not worry about where fluid might end up or what it will do after it gets there.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

There are cheap plastic burette's {junk} and then there are acrylic burette's [incorrectly called plastic and more expensive] , i have used both acrylic and glass sourced from a local scientific supply company that are certified accurate , i found the acrylic ones wear the cock faster than the glass ones but obviously are more robust than the glass ones , i take care when using any burette but i have broken them at intervals ,the numerals also wear off eventually from continual handling as i use mine weekly . I am currently using a glass one that has lasted longer than any i have had before { how long do you think it will last now that i have said that ?} but have two spare new acrylic ones , because i have spares the one i use will last indefinitely probably.
To speed up decanting i grind the end of the glass ones off on the diamond dresser wheel till i get a pour rate that i am happy with, and use kerosene as a fluid.
Syringes get sticky or the plunger rubber blooms when used with solvents.
Cheers.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I've always used antifreeze. Is that a bad idea?
-Carl