Which is better? TH400 or a C6

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Re: Which is better? TH400 or a C6

Post by nickpohlaandp » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Coloradoracer wrote:TH400 all the way. Here's why: A basically stock 400, properly assembled, will easily hold that amount of hp and will do it for a very long time. TH400's are very stout transmissions and require few mods until the hp gets over about 1000. They are also readily available, have a wealth of parts availability, and can be found pretty much anywhere. They are also very easy to work on, even for someone with little experience. For the cost of a decent rebuild kit, some attention to detail, and a couple of easily done and pretty much free mods, you'll have a trans that will last a long time....
That's good to know. I was curious about what the stock internals would handle. I know they're a stout trans, but just how stout, I don't know.

So are you saying with a good rebuild kit, clutches, etc, I could throw on a manual valve body and let it ride and not have to worry about breaking input/output shafts, drum, etc?
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Add in the dual feed mod to the direct clutch and restrict the pump feed. Keep line pressure about 200-225 psi and make sure clearances are correct. It will live a long time.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Coloradoracer wrote:Add in the dual feed mod to the direct clutch and restrict the pump feed. Keep line pressure about 200-225 psi and make sure clearances are correct. It will live a long time.
Guess I'm gonna need to get a book on the TH400 to better familiarize myself.

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 pm

That's a good investment
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:43 pm

I can't recall the exact number, but the TH400 was factory rated at over 700 Ft. Lbs. torque in stock condition. (740, I think.) Also, a steel girdle used to be made for the C6! Never saw one of those for a TH400. TBOMK, the modified C4 is superior to the C6. The TH400 is a stout piece, but it needs the clutch drums replaced if you make a lot of power. My 400 TB has all stock insides and so far has held up fine behind my SBC 406 and Turbo Action trans brake. The 406 makes no where near 700 Ft Lbs.

DON'T get a Chevy case from 1969 TH400. They switched case alloy that year to something weaker, so I've read. The TH350 is a more efficient design but will have to be built up to equal the strength of the stock 400.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 pm

kirkwoodken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:43 pm
I can't recall the exact number, but the TH400 was factory rated at over 700 Ft. Lbs. torque in stock condition. (740, I think.) Also, a steel girdle used to be made for the C6! Never saw one of those for a TH400. TBOMK, the modified C4 is superior to the C6. The TH400 is a stout piece, but it needs the clutch drums replaced if you make a lot of power. My 400 TB has all stock insides and so far has held up fine behind my SBC 406 and Turbo Action trans brake. The 406 makes no where near 700 Ft Lbs.

DON'T get a Chevy case from 1969 TH400. They switched case alloy that year to something weaker, so I've read. The TH350 is a more efficient design but will have to be built up to equal the strength of the stock 400.
All good info, thank you! I’ve got my TH400, it’s from a GTO, and not a ‘69, so that’s good. A friend of mine has a Chevy TH400 freshly rebuilt that he’d like to trade for my Pontiac TH400. I don’t care either way because I’m cutting the bellhousing off to install my JW bellhousing.

Two questions. Was the weaker alloy in 69 ONLY for 1969? Second, and I know I could probably google and find out but I’m here so I’ll ask, is there an easy way to determine the year of the case casting?

Thanks again!

kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Yes, just 1 year for weak housings. If you are cutting the front off, can't you use a BOP? Don't they just bolt to the pump bolts? I've never used one, but you can find BOP's for scrap prices,where as Chevy housings are higher dollar. If you don't have a TH400 yoke, look for one still sticking out of a transmission in a junk yard. Otherwise you may have sticker shock.

Just reread your post. DON'T cut the front off a Chevy TH400. Sell the Chevy and cut the front off a BOP. Just makes better sense to me. If you know someone with a large lathe, you can mount the case between centers or hold the front by the pump extension; cut the big front bell off with a band saw or saber saw, and use the lathe to turn the case even to the front pump surface. Just give it some thought. It will work. DON"T run it without a blanket!!! If the transmission blows and a piece comes through the floor, you can get an unexpected hot oil treatment. Not good.

Dating stuff:
http://chevellestuff.net/qd/th400.htm
Last edited by kirkwoodken on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirkwoodken

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm

kirkwoodken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 pm
Yes, just 1 year for weak housings. If you are cutting the front off, can't you use a BOP? Don't they just bolt to the pump bolts? I've never used one, but you can find BOP's for scrap prices,where as Chevy housings are higher dollar. If you don't have a TH400 yoke, look for one still sticking out of a transmission in a junk yard. Otherwise you may have sticker shock.

Just reread your post. DON'T cut the front off a Chevy TH400. Sell the Chevy and cut the front off a BOP. Just makes better sense to me. If you know someone with a large lathe, you can mount the case between centers or hold the front by the pump extension; cut the big front bell off with a band saw or saber saw, and use the lathe to turn the case even to the front pump surface. Just give it some thought. It will work. DON"T run it without a blanket!!! If the transmission blows and a piece comes through the floor, you can get an unexpected hot oil treatment. Not good.
BOP?

kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Buick, Olds, Pontiac = BOP bell housing style.

Dating= http://chevellestuff.net/qd/th400.htm
Kirkwoodken

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 am

kirkwoodken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 pm
DON'T cut the front off a Chevy TH400. Sell the Chevy and cut the front off a BOP.
Why would you say to NOT cut the bell housing off a Chevy TH400? Seems to me there's probably more of them... maybe I'm wrong.

The one I have is a Pontiac TH400, and my buddy has a Chevy TH400 freshly rebuilt. He needs a Pontiac trans though to go behind a Pontiac 400 cid he has. He wanted to trade and I was fine with that because as far as I'm concerned I don't care about he factory bell housing. I've got a JW bell housing adapter.

kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:01 pm

My point is: A Chevy core has value. Last time I bought BOP cores (Complete Transmissions) for parts they cost $18.00, which was scrap price. Chevy empty cases at that time were going for $100.00-$175.00 in my area, if you could find one. Repeat: That Chevy bell housing has value.
Kirkwoodken

nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 pm

kirkwoodken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:01 pm
My point is: A Chevy core has value. Last time I bought BOP cores (Complete Transmissions) for parts they cost $18.00, which was scrap price. Chevy empty cases at that time were going for $100.00-$175.00 in my area, if you could find one. Repeat: That Chevy bell housing has value.
I see your point as far as value. I think in this particular case though it probably doesn't matter. His TH400 is from a 1971 Corvette (I went over and looked at the data tag during my lunch break) and the bellhousing has been cracked and welded. I would imagine that it would have to be a non-damaged/repaired bellhousing in order for the case to be worth anything, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: The data tag looks like this:

71-CK................6067

From what I could gather this means the trans was built on March 19, 1971, serial number 6067, and it was for a Corvette (CK)